Interview Questions asked to Candidates

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Kitkatninja, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi All,

Alot of people ask "what kind of questions are asked in an interview?" Well I've decided to post the questions that we asked the candidates for the IT Apprentice post this morning.

1. Tell us about yourself.
    2. What attracted you to IT?
    3. Why do you want this job?
    4. What can you contribute to the team?
    5. What do you think the job entails?
    6. How do you cope on a stressful day?
    7. What experience do you have of using different technologies?
    8. Where do you see yourself in 5 years time?

On a side note, we had 4 people booked in for interviews but only 3 turned up. Now for an IT Apprentice post, those 3 people were excellent and to be honest if we could employ all 3 we would. It's going to be a very hard decision...

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Thanks Ken - useful info for job hunters :thumbleft

Your tie-break question should be: "Do you use Certforums and what is your addy?" :lol:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I have been asked in interviews questions such as

Q What will you do if you can't do something or solve a problem?
    A Ask my superior for guidance

Q If you are getting abuse what do you do?
    A try to stay calm and reasurren the client etc.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Useful questions I ask (and what I'm thinking when I ask it):

1. What training methods do you prefer to use? Books? CBTs? Practice exams? Live classroom training? (Am I going to be stuck losing you for a week or more while you attend an expensive training session?)
    2. What are your favorite training materials? (Are you a dumper?)
    3. How does your previous experience relate to this job's requirements? (Do you have experience that is relevant to what you'll be doing?)
    4. What do you think would be the most challenging part about this job? (What might you potentially have problems with?)
    5. Do you work better in a team environment or on your own? (Tell me what makes you tick... or, potentially, are you are just telling me what you think I want to hear).
    6. How do you deal with stress? (Again, tell me what makes you tick... or, potentially, are you are just telling me what you think I want to hear).
    7. Give me an example of when you went above-and-beyond the call of duty. (Show me your initiative.)
    8. What technologies would you enjoy working with, given the opportunity? (What do you really enjoy and where are you possibly headed - much better than the "5-year question", IMO)
    9. What's your favorite color? (Red... no, blue... just kidding! just kidding!)

Speaking of kidding...

We once had an editor interview with us. He was not a tech... he was a grammar-type dude. But he knew he was interviewing for a editor position with a technical training company. We were relatively sure we were going to hire him... so during the interview, straight-man Josh slid a piece of paper towards the candidate and asks him, "Explain TCP/IP subnetting to us."

<one second... he stares at the piece of paper...>

<two seconds... a bead of sweat rolls off his forehead...>

"Just kidding," Josh said, as he slid the paper back towards himself. :twisted:

Dude! :biggrin Whew! Relieved, the candidate laughed at our "interview prank". :D

I mean... you'd expect something like that from me... but Josh is the stable one, right? :biggrin

THAT is performing under pressure - a VERY useful skill. And yes, he got the job. :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!