Interview Question WIn 7 Rollout

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by jonnyw, Apr 11, 2013.

1. jonnyw

jonnyw New Member

Hi All, im pretty new to this forum ( good advice on here) I am doing a Win 7 70-680 course at tech and I have made a step backwards in my career and trying to get into IT support again. I had a question in an interview recently & I woudl like to hear what you woudl say.

Q, how woudl you conduct a win 7 desktop role out? it was for a university

I said do a pilot of say 10 users to see if any issues with the build, fix them ask users to check it again and once stable roll it out in small groups of users until all teh users have teh new image.

What woudl you say?

Many Thanks
    JOnny

2. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

I would have started with imaging to a test computer in your own control, not start straight with a pilot group of live users. If it went wrong you have potentially just taken 10 people off of the network and caused them issues in trying to get back on to it with a functioning computer etc etc.

Also if it's an ITIL compliant IT department then you have the usual change controls and so forth to consider.

Also need to think about any documentation updates that may be required, application updates/upgrades to ensure compatibility.

That sort of stuff.

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  3. jonnyw

jonnyw New Member

Thanks for the reply Coupe. Food for thought there.

4. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Hi, not being someone who really embraces the idea of helping someone with an obvious 'homework' question, I'd normally decline to answer.

But yours was such a good example of not understanding the question, that I couldn't resist (much...).

If the original question was really this vague, then it leaves the whole of the strategy open to answer (from the very beginning until successfully rolled-out) which would be a few paragraphs at least. And I very much doubt that they were interested much in your inter-personal skills with the users...

Maybe your course isn't going too well (for whatever reason) but you might wish to re-visit the whole section entitled Deploying Windows 7

I'd certainly not be entertaining the interests or whims of a random group of users - maybe a better approach would be to start with 'surveying' the different hardware you need to role out the O/S onto..?

Apologies if this come across a bit harsh, but then that's what the job-world pretty much is these days - and maybe I helped a little.................?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
    Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  5. jonnyw

jonnyw New Member

LOL a little harsh but i can take it. I had the interview some time ago so it is not really homework. You did help though, so thank you. This is my first cert so I am learning as I go.

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Before you even touch a Windows 7 DVD you need to understand what applications are installed on the current machines and test for compatibility on a new Windows 7 build – also plan for a potential x64 environment.

Hardware needs to be assessed – are you going to be buying new hardware or imaging onto existing hardware? Also plan for print driver support and any other devices attached to the PCs – for example smart card readers (common for online banking).

Once this is all done create a base image on whatever imaging platform you are going to be using (e.g Acronis\Windows Deployment Services).

Plan to deploy the base image and then add any additional apps as needed. Chances are financial applications do not need to be installed on all the PCs.

Try and plan the image deployment so that a defined area gets done each day – this means you have a plan to get the new image deployed and users that are using the new build can help each other out with the basic “how to” questions as they are getting used to the new environment.

The roll out of the new image has to be planned but try and do it as quickly as possible as you may end up with problems exchanging different Office file formats and moving between different builds especially if users have a roaming profiles.

Lots more to consider but I don’t want to send everyone to sleep on this forum. :)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
    Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs