Interview Question Help

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Rockets34Life, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Rockets34Life

Rockets34Life Bit Poster

Hello everyone, still on the lookout for another job.....5 months and still looking.

But from my interviews I've went through so far, I'm having trouble with this one question and how to answer it. I'm currently working and it's been 7 months so far. But when prospective employers ask why I'm leaving, what's the best answer to give?

This job I have is no challenge, pay is ok, and I feel like I'm going backwards in my career (doing more help desk than desktop support or system administration - background is desktop support/Jr. system administration). I don't want to say any of that, but I want to give them an answer that convinces them of why I'm leaving and continues their thought process to the rest of my resume.

I know everything else about myself I can explain and prove to them I can do whatever the job description says. But since that's usually one of the 1st questions out of their mouths before knowing anything else about me, it just sours the rest of the interview.

I would of quit this garbage job a long time ago, but because it's close to my daughter's daycare, I'm stuck with it until I can find something else.

Please help a Certforums brotha out. :)

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

You have to let them realise that you're someone that they want to hire, if you mention that you're the kind of person who doesn't just want to sit back and do the same thing day in day out, that you can offer more to potential employers if you're doing something that's challenging, I would probably say you're at the point in your career where you need more of a challenge, the helpdesk side of things you can cover in your sleep and that you now need something that engages your brain and offers you that little bit more when it comes to job satisfaction.

Show them you have a bit of get up and go usually does more for you than just being meh.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

As SimonD stated, you simply need to tell them confidently that you're moving on to a bigger and better challenge.

I wouldn't blame them for asking since if you only stick about for 7months then its another thought in the back of their mind for recruiting - so don't take it to heart and let it ruin the interview, it is just the normal HR process.

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010