interview for service desk analyst

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by jammed24, May 6, 2008.

1. jammed24

jammed24 Bit Poster

hi all,

I have got an interview for a Service desk position, now i got a question about salaries, what does OTE mean? is it On Target Earnings? Does it mean I have to sell things? i thought service desk or 1st line support only solve issues and do not involve selling.

Thanks in advance

2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I believe OTE is actually 'Ordinary Time Earnings' ie, what you earn if you work the normal hours, with no overtime.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I have no idea what OTE means. However, I’ve seen some call centers requiring customer service staff to ‘upsell’ when servicing a customer.

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Fergal is correct, if it says 16kOTE it means thats what you get paid without doing extra work after hours it also means that there is probably a potential to earn a lot more by doing extra shifts at time and a half or double time.

My current salary is £18884OTE but I generally make over 21K per annum. Up until I got my P60 this year I had made 23k for the last 4 years which enabled me to pay off my debts a lot faster :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. jammed24

jammed24 Bit Poster

thanks for the reply :)

6. Lev Arris

Lev Arris Byte Poster

I have to disagree here.

My understanding of "OTE" is "On Target Earnings".

Normally u see it with sales jobs saying "45k OTE" meaning there is a 14k basic + if you sell a million things u'll make 45k.

In a service desk I would assume you'll get a basic of say 16k + a bonus of say 1k-3k if you are not late, meet the average handle time, meet first time fix rates etc..

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, MCSA (270,290,291)
    WIP: CCNA ..Global Domination
  7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Its possible I suppose. Although I've never been around a servicedesk that uses those kind of bonuses. For a start bonuses for handling time enforces completely the wrong type of message to the agents. Bonuses of that type in general just dont work. But thats a different discussion I suppose.

Bottom line, if you get to interview, ask. Or call up and ask now.

Edit: So you know I havent just pulled it out of my ass by the way: this is my source. Although on checking thats an AU site, so its possible that its different in oz to here I suppose.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present