Interview for IT Tech

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Jaron78, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Hi Guys,

Have an Interview with a really well known charity organization for an IT tech next week. Really cant wait.
    Spent a good few hours one day last month visiting Web sites of NPO and checking out their job sections. If nothing was listed, I emailed them a covering letter and CV.

With regards to the one thats offered me an interview, I was required to fill out some basic information. One of these was a Salary brackett. The role was advertised as £25,000, however, I went in at £20,000 as it would be my first full time IT role if I was successful.

So to those that are still looking, keep your head up. If I can manage to secure an Interview, you certainly can. Wish me luck.

b.t.w £20,000 for a first real IT Support role, is that good or have I gone in too low?

Cheers

2. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Good stuff..

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  3. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

That's pretty damn good tbh, in fact, personally, that's one of the best I've seen for a first IT job. What does the job involve? got a job spec we can see?

congrats.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  4. Jaron78

I do, but its on the home computer I'm afraid. Will Upload the Job Spec toinight.

Thanks for the info :)

5. westernkings

Do you know roughly what it involved? I'm interested to here.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  6. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

That's good to hear and best wishes for the interview. Go in and show interest and give it your best shot. If you don't know the answer to a question say you don't know but however you'd be willing to research the appropriate answer or way etc.

Cheerio:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  7. Jaron78

Off the top of my head:

Supporting users using XP and Office,
    Setting up and Removal of User accounts,
    General desktop duties (Their words not mine),
    Answering calls and emails to help the extensive Customer base to resolve their IT issues.

There was quite a bit more, so will update as soon as I am home Western.
    Cheers

8. Jaron78

Many Thanks Onoski :)

9. westernkings

fingers crossed for you mate. fantastic wage for that sort of role. Get on it :biggrin

10. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Over here in Switzerland, you don't pay taxes if you work for an NPO, is it the same there?

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  11. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Congrats and good luck on the interview:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  12. orangepeeleo

orangepeeleo Nibble Poster

Congrats and best of luck with the interview! Is it a mental healthcare charity by any chance??

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  13. Jaron78

Nah mate, Cancer Support.

14. ChrisH1979

ChrisH1979 Byte Poster

Congrats on the interview.
    For those of you who would like to help some smaller charities out by volunteering your services, then go to www.it4communities.org.uk .
    I been doing this recently and it's really good to help these people out. Jobs have varied from a 3 PC with printers work group set up to to a full cabling installation and a 2008 domain so there are volunteer opportunities for people of all skill levels. Good work experience for those starting out as well. Don't take on more than you can handle though!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2010
    Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA, MCTS:Win 7, Application Infrastructure
    WIP: MCITP:EA
  15. Jaron78

Many thanks.
    If the Interview doesn go to plan, then I will certainly be offering my services :)

16. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Wow, sounds great! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  17. Jaron78

Yup, really does. I was REALLY surprised when I got the call about the interview in all honesty.
    It was just a case of seeing the role advertised and thought ah what the hell, may as well apply :)

Didnt actually expect anything to come of it.

Just hope it works out :D

18. Jaron78

Hi All,

As promised, the Job role entails:

1. To provide technical support for all incoming incidents logged via phone, email and web.
    2. Diagnose and fix hardware & software faults, and configure desktop and laptop computers.
    3. To listen, analyse and interpret customer queries
    4. To work as an effective and equal member of the technical support team including managing your share of incidents.
    5. To monitor, prioritise, update and resolve own assignments at regular intervals to ensure SLA deadlines are met.
    6. To maintain the integrity of data on the IT helpdesk system, by updating missing/inaccurate information.
    7. To document, liaise and work with other teams within IT as necessary, to ensure knowledge, resolutions and information is shared, to improve the IT customer service.
    8. To escalate high priority incidents & more complex incidents to the appropriate team, technician, or external suppliers.
    9. To manage user accounts including creating and removing accounts. To maintain the accuracy of our customers information on the IT Helpdesk.
    10. To maintain a high level of customer service for all incidents; this includes ensuring that customers are provided with regular updates

Cheers

19. Jaron78

OK, Interview went OK.

Not 100% confident but fingers crossed. Updates as soon as I have it :)

20. Jaron78

Hi Guys,

Well almost a week later I have heard back from the employer an.....

I have a second interview towards the end of the month :)

Will keep you all updated.

Ron