Interview Advice

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by twizzle, Jun 5, 2006.

1. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

OK Guys need so help here!!

I managed to get an interview for this wednesday fo a Job in IT.
    Its for a PC Audit Technician, To carry out an audit of all PC's, peripherals, software etc along with some installs of new PCs and Printers.

What i need is some advice on what this may entail exactly? anyone have any ideas on this? And any tips for during the interview, given that i've been out of work fo a year and in the last month been doin temp work as a general workshop dogsbody?

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'd suggest that a prime requirement for Audit was to be able to recognize fairly quickly any component of a PC - and probably a great range of ages to them as well!

Also to be able to *accurately* record software versions installed on said PCs. This would include just how much software patching a given PC had had.

This is what *I* would be looking for..... :biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Depends on how the audit is done to be honest. The audits I do are mostly done with software. This means a small .exe is run on each of the PCs which generates an .xml file. All of the files are then imported into the main audit application and then various reports are run to show what hardware and software is installed.

Some of these applications can’t audit switches\hubs\firewalls and printers therefore this has to be done manually and put into the final audit report.

Hope this helps! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

What they said, and I'd also emphasise your hyper efficient organisational skills when documenting everything in spreadsheets and databases.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Don't forget to document the serial number of peripherals as that maybe the only way to keep the records unique to a specific device.

Also be aware that many high end printers have meter readings which will show the total number of copies and or the number of copies a master unit has done. This is very relevant when it comes to purchasing new printers for the company. For example, older printers with high meter readings can be moved to a site/department where the print volume is lower.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Leey2000k

Leey2000k Bit Poster

:biggrin Good Luck for Wednesday mate!

Lee 8)

Certifications: 70-271
    WIP: MCSDT
  7. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Good luck

IF you don't get the job suggest that they get some software to do the work! If you do keep quiet about it!

8. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Good luck for today :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  9. arisen

arisen Byte Poster

How did it go???

Certifications: BEng, PRINCE2, ITIL, Net+
    WIP: MSc, Linux+ 2009, RHCE
  10. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Well its about time i replied to my own post now lol.

I had a good interview on Wednesday tho the guys there did have an emergency at the time so was 30 mins late (soem contracter had drill thru the comms cables).
    Well i found out the result on friday. I'd just arrived at preston brook, from norfolk via birmingham at about 20:45 when i got the call. I start a week monday thru the agency.
    The job mainly involves working for the NHS goin to GPs practices and auditing thier systems. It includes doin updates to anti-virus, office and windows and basicaly checking everythings working as expected. Its a months rolling contract untill the jobs done with prospects for more work at the end if its there.
    Now the pays not great and it involves a lot of travel (about and hour each way from home and then the extra to and fro sites) but it means i get some experience in IT and customer skills and maybe i can get on with the 70-270 course at the same time.
    So thanks fer the advice guys and lets hope i do well :biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  11. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

congratulations mate - well done...

12. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Congratulations :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  13. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Well done Twizz!

The door has opened and the road beckons...

Step out strongly and with purpose!

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  14. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

congrats twizzle! looking at your current certs i say look at the mcdst first... it will help you alot for this kind of role i.e. office and windows troubleshooting...

all the best for the future! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  15. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Congrats on the job.

There may be a lot of travelling, but one thing is that you will get to see a *lot* of different setups, and this will be *very* good for experience!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  16. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Good onya Twizzle, that is great news 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)