Internet issues

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Mr.Cheeks, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

XP SP2 Laptop Toshiba Centrino (SP2 Pushed through network on Wednesday)

Q1.

At various times in the day i have this pop up

[​IMG]

and/or this one aswell

[​IMG]

I have no idea as to what it is, there is another one on the list which is for the VPN, but i will never be working at home for work, so how do i go about disabling the buggers...

It is a lot more worse at home cuz it keeps popping up and i cant browse the net at all, as im closing it down and always refreshing the screen...

Q2.

This proxy setting. When i go home, i have to change the settings to auto detect settings to network, and then change back to proxy settings when i get to work. How do i find the address to use for my exceptions list. I know this is simply, but dont know which one to use...

[​IMG]

Cheers!

2. Mr.Cheeks

...anyone? :rolleyes:

3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Cheek,

Go in to Interent options and specify <do not dial a connection>. This way you can keep all your dial-up accounts without that nagging <box> that appears should your default connection fail.

As for the proxy setting, open your web browser and select <i connect directly to the internet>.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

My simplistic response on the first one is to set IE/OE to 'never dial'.

On the second one - I'm not sure what you are asking here. In any case there is a neat extension for Firefox that allows settings for multiple proxies, and makes it easy to change to a different one.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Mr.Cheeks

cant find it, or are you on about the options in IE?

That still leave me with switching back and forth when at work.

i'll have a look at that...

6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Cheek,

as for the dial-up settings, i believe you can use either control panel.... Internet options or the options from within IE. I would say Control panel is the preffered method incase you use OE.

As for the proxy, i misunderstood. I thought you were trying to get away from the proxy, not switch between it. Use the extension as Harry pointed out.

Si

7. Mr.Cheeks

I'll log out later and give it a go.

I decided to got with this proxy switcher as it seems to be simply - will let you know if it work when i get home...

8. Mr.Cheeks

My laptop is on a domain, and i dont have full admin rights.
    i logged out and logged in as a local admin and the settings were do not dial connection. i cant access this on my login. am i stuffed?

9. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Then why don't you mention it to the domain admins? They should be able to fix it.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  10. Boycie
    Honorary Member

I think if you alter configuration that falls under the <GPO> umbrella locally, it won't stay once you log on to the domain if configuration with Active directory for your domain say otherwise.

Can someone please correct me if wrong. :)

Si

11. Mr.Cheeks

any AD amendments cant be done by myself, requests have to be made, and as its not an issue to probably make me wait for a very long time... :(

12. Mr.Cheeks

anyway, this proxy extension is bang on! plus for some strange reason the dialup connections box is not popping up?