Internet Explorer Switched Off ????

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Co9, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Co9

Co9 Nibble Poster

Good morning all,

Had a phone call from my father this morning to say having problems installing wireless router due to his internet explorer being switched off. Please could somebody kindly (step by step) guide me through this to turn explorer back on. The operating system is Vista.

Kind Regards

Co9:D

WIP: A+
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Switched off? Is there a shorcut for IE on the desktop? It might be that the shorcut just needs to be re-created.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Co9

Co9 Nibble Poster

Hi Sparky - No - doesn't seem to have a desk top icon. But have tried going into internet options where it states IE as web browser - how do we turn it on ????

Cheers

4. Sparky

If you click on the Windows button then 'all programs' there should be a Internet Explorer listed near the top.

If you want it on your desktop right click on the Internet Explorer icon then select 'send to', select desktop (create shortcut) and your done.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  5. Co9

Co9 Nibble Poster

Desktop short cut created but still when you click on this the following message appears : 'Internet Explorer cannot display the web page' ????????????????????

6. Sparky

What webpage is in the address bar? Try google as a test...

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

sounds like you are not connected to the internet.

Does your pc have a NIC in it or one of those USB jobbies?

Is the router plugged into a splitter and is the splitter connected to the phone socket?

Is the router on?

Have you tried switching the router off and back on again?

or doing a restart on the computer?

can you ping anyone? go to the run command and type CMD then in the black window type ping www.certforums.co.uk and see if you get a response if you don't then there must be no internet connection. Type exit to make the black window dissapear.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Has he ever connected to the internet using this wireless router, or is it new?

If it is new, ask him to get the IP address from the instructions for connecting to the router, and try putting that in the address bar.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  9. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Does he even have a broadband provider yet? If he has just got the router from the ISP it might not even be turned on yet. What lights are on the router?

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Me thinks it's time to call someone in that knows what they are doing :wink:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Exactly what I'd do... the IP address will be something like http://192.168.1.1. He'll need to know the admin account and password for the router which, if he hasn't been able to get into it yet, maybe something like admin and password. The instructions that came with the router should tell him.

12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Nods, classic case of RTFM :)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. reverb

reverb Byte Poster

I'll check the lights on your router (DSL one) as well first and see if your internet is actually connected and plugged in (the ADSL cable ie. rj11) and then type ipconfig in cmd prompt (Start-Accessories-Command Prompt). If everything is "media disconnected" then you haven't actually established a "link" between your pc and router. So use the ethernet or usb cable as mentioned - with the latter option, you going to have install it.

14. Co9

Co9 Nibble Poster

Dear all, would just like to say a big thankyou for all your contributions. The situation is frustrating for me because my father is convinced I've caused this connection problem because of a Dell log that states something along the lines I think ? - a change was made 29/12/08 to Internet Explorer resulting in it being switching it off (something like that) - This coincided to our visit which also coincided with him trying to link up a borrowed router to test for range before buying one. The only thing I changed (via the wired system) on the pc was his home page via internet options and can't see how this would have resulted in me turning I E off when he tried to connect up his new wireless router.
    So basically Internet explorer exists via the wired system and shows up a notice to say it is switched off when he tries to connect with the router. He says all else is fine with the wireless router up to the point of trying to get on the internet (I hear you all laugh) when it says IE switched off. Is there any possibility the wireless router is stopping access to I.E. ????? I just can't see how I've ended up causing this problem. Also (and please correct me if I'm wrong in suggesting this or going against Certforums rules ) Is there any one prepared to give him a call direct and talk him through set up to rectify the problem ? If this is a problem I've caused then access to switching I E off must have been a simple process although inadvertantly done and should by the same token - be easy to switch back on. Any further suggestions of help will be gratefully received - so many thanks in advance and thanks for bearing with me !

Kind Regards

Co9:(:(:(

15. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

You have not really said if you have tried any of the suggestions and what results you had if you did.

It could be many issues really from malware to not having a valid page as the start page which could confuse him into thinking the internet is not "on". Not sure if anyone will be ok to call him directly as he could be on the other side of the country or even abroad to some members and they may not want to pay the call charge if he struggles to perform the tasks asked on the phone.

Perhaps someone will be more likely to help should he call them?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  16. Co9

Co9 Nibble Poster

Of course - He'd be more than happy to make the call !

Kind Regards

17. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'm not sure how you 'switch off' IE. It is part of Windows and really never goes away.

We really need the *exact* error message.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  18. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You can't switch IE off like Harry said, it's always around at some level.

Like I said earlier your are either not connected due to not being connected at the hardware level or you are not connected at the software level or both.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  19. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Co9,

Has your father registered his Vista operating system with Microsoft yet?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  20. Co9

Co9 Nibble Poster

Point taken - thankyou - He will be more than happy to ring somebody if they would be in a position to say a time and date possibilities convenient to them. It is best to talk directly to him with the computer running as opposed to third party info.

Kind regards