Internet and PC security

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by feely, Sep 21, 2007.

1. feely

feely Bit Poster

Hello all, this maybe isn't the right place for this topic, but I will ask anyway..

..A bit down the line, I would be interested in getting into PC/Internet security...what would be the best route to take.

Thanks for any advice.

Sean

Certifications: HND Elect & Electronic Engineering
    WIP: A+, Network+ & BSc in Physics
  2. warrmr

warrmr Byte Poster

How proficient are you with linux.

if you are a total noob to linux ( and i dont mean to offend by saying that) then i would suggest that you go down the route of learning linux and how it works and various bash commands what they do and how they work.
    mabe even look into the CompTIA Linux+ cert i dunno.

you should also give the guys over at Remote Exploit a shout. a couple of points to note about that forum
    1) you will get flamed and beasted on if your ethics are slightly questionable "read the guide on how to post smart questions" (once again i dont mean to cause any offence i just know what there lik over there.
    2) its a support forum for a linux distro called Backtrack its based on a slax livecd

i would recommend setting up a test lab at home and trying to hack one machine from the live CD.

if you have 2 machines you would setup a network with your main computer running a virtual PC with an unlatched version of windows XP pre SP1 if you have it. do not let it get hold of windows updates.

the second machine you will need to boot off the linux live cd you downloaded now what you need to do is try and hack or exploit holes in the win xp client you just set up.

make it easy for yourself turn the firewall off. and if you can install winamp 5.41 i think it was ( this one has a vulnerability ) you will find out more over on remote exploit.

basicly teach yourself how to hack/crack.

pull different software programs apart and just genrally play.

im not an expert im far from it. you will learn alot from the guys over there but make it clear from the start you are pure white hat. if theres the slightest shade of grey they will be reluctant to help you.

Certifications: MCP 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA + Messaging, MCSE + Security
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

To starts things off slowly, I recommend going for the Comptia Security+ certification. It's an entry level security cert and vendor neutral (eg not specific to any OS), and see if you you still want to go into the security field of IT after that.

Unfortunately this field isn't as exciting as they portray it in the movies :( But it still is a very good field to get into :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. newkoba

newkoba Byte Poster

while i do agree that the sec+ is a "entry level cert" it is actually listed as a two years of experience cert. so you might want to think about getting a really entry level cert like the net+ to go along with it.

Certifications: Security + and CEH
    WIP: CWNA and CWSP
  5. feely

feely Bit Poster

Thanks for the replies :)

I hope to be getting into my Network+ cert by the middle/end of next month, and then I will go for the Security+ cert. I found out a bit about it after I posted here lol.

Would a knowledge of Linux be helpful? for IT in general, and security in particular? Its something I have looked into, but never in a serious way...I have been thinking of loading a Linux dist. onto a PC for myself.

What would be a good path after the Security+ cert? I know thats a bit down the line, but I always like to research the options a alot lol.

Anyway, thanks again.
    Sean

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Building experience. 8)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. feely

feely Bit Poster

Oh, I am trying, believe me! I have been in contact with a few local (within an hours drive) IT companies, running from PC repair to networking etc, giving them my CV..if there are no positions, I will be seeing if anyone would allow me to tag along with someone a few hours a week to learn. As yet, only one guy has got back to me, but hasn't answered my request about tagging along...but, I will keep plugging away :)

8. BosonMichael

Getting your start in IT will likely be the hardest thing you do in IT. Don't give up! Persistence will pay off.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. feely

feely Bit Poster

I don't intend to lol...I never did think it would be easy...nor do I think my first job will make me a gazillionaire, so I am under no illusions lol.

sláinte :)

10. BosonMichael

Sláinte mhór, agus ádh mór ort. :)

11. feely

feely Bit Poster

Haha.. Go raibh maith agat, Tóg go bog é

12. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

You mean I'm not going to be 'pleasured' by a babe whilst a gun is held to my head and given 30 seconds to break into the Pentagon like in Swordfish then? Bahh, IT security isn't for me then! :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  13. BosonMichael

Not EVERY day, no. 8)

14. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Yeah, IT is made sexy for men, isn't it.

What do women get in the media at the moment?

Moss, a fuzzy-haired man who lives with his mother and speaks like he has a nasal impediment; and Roy, a man who eats chicken out of buckets. Niiiiiiiiiiiiice.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  15. BosonMichael

If you want to be filmed being 'pleasured' by a dude while a gun is being pointed to your head and being given 30 seconds to break into the Pentagon like in Swordfish, all for the sake of distributing it to the general media to make IT sexy for women, then I'm sure there are a few guys here who would oblige...

...could likely sell tickets to that... :hhhmmm

16. feely

feely Bit Poster

What? Women don't find guys in IT hot?? Ack, what the...!

:biggrin

17. BosonMichael

Sure they do... once the IT guys hit their 30s, especially. 8)

18. ManicMonkey

ManicMonkey Kilobyte Poster

30 pints? :p

Certifications: MCSE
    WIP: Exchange, Share point - MOM as well
  19. BosonMichael

Whatever it takes. ;)

20. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Nope. I'm dating an electrical engineer. Which is obviously sooooooooooo much sexier :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA