Interforest Migration Lab

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by Methodman85, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

I'm wondering If it's possible to do a domain migration between two domains with the same name.

The situation is that I have A Corporate.local domain that is within the Production.local Forest.
    I need Corporate.Local out of the Production.local forest and In it's own Forest as the Root domain called Corporate.local.
    Is this possible? Or do I HAVE to change the name of the new Corporate.local target domain to something else in order to do the migration.

Does anyone have experience with this? Any tricks I can use to make this possible?

Certifications: MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, CCNA, MCDST, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Interesting 8)

Does the new domain *have* to be called corporate.local

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

It wouldn't be a trick or interesting topic if it didn't ;)
    Lets say corporate.local was a registered domain on the internet. What would be the repercussions if the name was in fact changed?
    Registering of the new name, redirection of the website.
    And what about Exchange, would it be as simple as just adding a secondary smtp address to the users profile?
    I'm just trying to get a bigger picture here as I'm sure there're many things I wouldn't account for if I did in fact have to change the name.

I've created a Corporate2.local in my lab, and I'm migrating some users to see how exchange and fileserver access will function after.

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You could call the new domain corporate.int

:biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. Methodman85

Methodman85 Byte Poster

Lol true enough.
    Looks like it's not possible then.
    No way to establish a trust between Production.local which already has a transitive automatic trust with Corporate.local with another Domain called Corporate.local lol.
    I was hoping for a trick of some sort, dah well.
    Looks like there's no way around migrating production.local to 2003 first then moving onto corporate.local.
    Thanks Sparky!