Interesting opportunity

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ffreeloader, Oct 7, 2005.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Well, I may finally have something in the works that may get me a job. It's one of those things that if it works out, it could be golden, and if it doesn't, well, it will still be good resume fodder.

It's with a start up company. A very small startup company, but the idea they have is very good. In fact the market for what they are doing is mandated by law, if you can beleive that one, and basically no one is doing what they are. It's a very specialized field, but doesn't take a lot of specialized technology to make it happen. It does take some though. They have been two years in the development of their idea to get it to a place where it actually works. Their main problem is money, specifically, the lack of it. So, that's where I come in. I'm cheap labor, and they can get my wages paid for by the government for a few months as I'm in a state sponsored retraining program.

I'd be wearing a lot of hats by the sounds of it. I'd be training people with some physical handicaps on how to use their computer. I would be doing some sales and then followup technical support with the customers, a little web development, administering a couple of web sites, employee supervision, negotiating with vendors. A whole slew of things. I'd basically be running the day-to-day operations when I'm up to speed on all the technology.

It will be a cool job. I'll get to make a difference in people's lives, possibly make more than a decent living when this takes off, and get to play with some pretty cool technology all at the same time.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Superb news Freddy congrats :D

I am sure you will prove to be a brilliant asset to them. Please keep us informed as to how this opportunity pans out.

You are da man 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Sounds great, Freddy. Good luck, guy. I hope you get it. :D

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Best of luck freddie.Sounds like an interesting oppertunity.

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  5. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

good luck!

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Good Luck Freddy.

8)

7. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Great news to hear Freddy!! - best of luck with it all...

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Good onya mate. I'm sure you'll enjoy it a lot and the benefits will be good for both sides.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Thanks guys,

This is one of those opportunities that's interesting, and scary. I've worked for a small start up before and there is very little job security, no benefits, and the company can fold overnight when you're dealing with a small start up.

I'm intrigued by the possibilities, and doubtful all at the same time. Oh well, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Hopefully the reward will equal the risk.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

All the best of CF luck to you Freddy - you already make a difference to the lives of our Members here. Hope you get this break, man :thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  11. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

best of luck to ya freddy, hope it all comes together for you. :D

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+