Intel wireless problem on laptop?

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by dude182, Apr 22, 2008.

1. dude182

dude182 Bit Poster

Hi there,

in need of some advice please i have an acer aspire 1640 laptop about 2 years old and out of warranty. Been having problems with the wireless adaptor built into it, which is an intel 2200bg. Sometimes it will work and let me connect to the internet but then freezes the computer. Other times it will just let the laptop turn on and then crashes to a black screen and displays device conflict error. So i have now disabled the adaptor and laptop does not crash but i am having to use a wireless usb adaptor at present to connect to the internet.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Have you downloaded the latest drivers for it?

Sounds like your lappy is in a bad way mate :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. mattgrey

mattgrey Nibble Poster

If it's out of warranty and you don't want to spend loads of money reapairing it, your options are limited.

Personally I would check drivers are up to date, at a long shot re-install Windows, otherwise, disable it and use a USB/PCMCIA adaptor. I am guessing nothing has been upgraded/changed internally before this occured?

I have a HP laptop that had a fault with the buit in wireless adaptor, the fix? New mainboard:blink Thankfully it was under warranty, what this would have cost otherwise I dread to think, probably less then a new laptop I would guess?

Some models have an access hatch to get to the adpaptor, this would allow a new adaptor to be installed without opening the case, have you checked this?

edit: just a thought, have you checked for an avaliable bios update?

Certifications: none yet!
    WIP: A+
  4. dude182

dude182 Bit Poster

Some models have an access hatch to get to the adpaptor, this would allow a new adaptor to be installed without opening the case, have you checked this?

I have just updated the intel driver software and it seems to have worked but i also removed the wireless adaptor from the laptop because it had an access panel to it. I found out which model it was and ordered a new one as well just in case. So not really sure what the problem was but it seems to be fixed. Thanks.

5. mattgrey

mattgrey Nibble Poster

glad it's sorted!

Certifications: none yet!
    WIP: A+