Intel reference heatsink fastening.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mathematix, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Hi all

I've recently had to dismantle my last PC to change the thermal paste. I was using a heatsink and fan with a backplate which felt very secure when connected. To avoid me having to dismantle again in futrue to simply change the thermal paste I purchased a heatsink and fan that uses the Intel reference attachments - this doesn't feel as secure and there is minimal lateral movement of the heatsink. I have followed the instructions to the letter, but am uncertain if this motion is normal.

Here is the new heatsink I purchased: http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2033

Cheers! :biggrin

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  2. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I currently have the standard Intel cooler on my Core 2 Duo. It has the same fitment that kinda pops through the holes on the motherboard. To be honest I thought this was about the worst CPU cooler fitment I had ever used when I fitted it, far too much force was required to get it to clip onto the mobo and when it was on, I could move it about 1-2mm left to right. The movement you are getting sounds the same, and normal from my experience. But, after 14 months of use its still there, my CPU have never gone over 49C on full load.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Hmm... all of the heatsinks I've ever installed have NOT had any lateral movement... they were all firmly secure after I attached them. Moving the HSF causes gaps in the thermal paste coverage. Once the HSF is in place, it shouldn't be moved from side to side.

I've never heard of Akasa, so I don't know how good they are. I love my Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro HSF, thought that's by no means the best you can get.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Mathematix

Cheers guys.

Lucky I checked it because I gave it a little tug and it half popped out! Will give it one more try with the mobo out and if it still won't go in I'll send it back as faulty and get one with a backplate.

I though this was supposed to be easy to fit in! :blink

5. Mathematix

It appears that I've finally got it in after hunting for a proper technique. Even that wasn't perfect as one would pop out as another went in! After going around them like musical chairs it now feels very secure with no movement. :biggrin

Thumbs. Are. Killing. Me!

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yeah... that happens. :blink

Congrats! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Mathematix

Cheers dude. :)

8. NightWalker

Hey Mathematix. What sort of temps are you getting on your CPU with the new cooler fitted?

9. Mathematix

Hey Nightwalker

Haven't fired it up yet! Been too tired getting back from work to complete the build. I'm on holiday as of today, so should finish it shortly. :)

10. NightWalker

Holiday is the best thing about work, getting paid to not go to the office!
    I have 5 days off over Easter, just got to get through tomorrow! Keep us posted on the progress with the build.

11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Akasa make decent case fans and exhaust fans, I have never used a cpu fan from them though so I can't comment.

I use the standard HSF that came with my C2D, I get about 40 degrees C when running.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  12. NightWalker

I use the standard one on my C2D too and get about 40 degrees C, but have just spent some £££s on parts to upgrade. I have bought a Zalman cooler along with some other bits. Be interesting to see if it all runs any cooler after the rebuild (hopefully this weekend).

13. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

It probably will but it depends how much your chucking at the cpu, more power = more heat.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  14. Mathematix

Will do, mate. Was going to have a go tonight, but am really too tired. :(

15. NightWalker

Thats true, Im going to run it all at stock speeds for a week or two after I upgrade, take some baseline temps and then start upping the FSB and CPU speeds. What a fickle thing heat is, costs a fortune to heat my house in the winter, all the heat from my CPU I want to get rid of as quickly as possible...

What other bits have you fitted, is it a new build machine or an upgrade?