Intel or AMD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shadowwebs, May 18, 2012.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

It's been a few years since I built myself a PC, so I have decided it's time to go for it... I have always been an Intel CPU boy, but am considering AMD.

Can someone bring me up to speed on which is the best way to go?

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

S'pose it depends on your budget, but Intel generally have the better CPU's at most price-points at the mo'...

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  3. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Intel all the way. I've had both, and although AMD are more bang-for-buck, Intel just offer more processing power. When buying a processor though, look at the cost of a decent motherboard to go with it. Motherboards make a lot of difference to the perfomrance of the processor (according to benchmarks anyway) .... take into acocunt the right socket motherboard too!

4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

* Moved to Hardware forum *

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  5. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

I have currently got a PATA and a SATA drive in my system, the new motherboards I am looking at no longer have PATA connectors, so will be more of an upgrade than I thought... maybe time to upgrade to an SSD also

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)