INstalling XP over Vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by asam.shan, Apr 23, 2008.

1. asam.shan

asam.shan Nibble Poster

I know MS arnt to happy with downgrading OS, i was just wondering how difficult it actually is to put XP over Vista and if it has to be a clean install or not.?

Certifications: n/a
    WIP: a+, network+, CCNA
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Unfortunately you either have to create a new partition and have a dual boot system or do a format and install from scratch.

I believe there are legal issues if it was an oem copy of vista on a pre-built system there are articles about it on Microsofts website.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. OceanPacific

OceanPacific Byte Poster

As long as you legally own both operating systems microsoft cant say jack about what you do with them! If the copy of vista is indeed oem, then technically you can only install it on that one machine. If you want to downgrade to XP, then the best thing to do is clean install. Just boot your computer from your OS disc and install it that way and do a quick NTFS format and vista is gone! But save your info on vista for when and if you ever want to install it again.

WIP: N+, A+
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Actually, they can. You don't own the OS... you own a license to use the OS under the terms that Microsoft offers.

Microsoft does offer downgrade rights from Vista to XP, but only for certain versions of Vista. If this applies, then you don't even need to own XP to legally be able to use it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. asam.shan

asam.shan Nibble Poster

do you know which versions

Certifications: n/a
    WIP: a+, network+, CCNA
  6. BosonMichael

I posted a link a few days ago. Google vista xp downgrade site:microsoft.com and see what pops up.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

So if you went and brought a pc from PC World or somehwere and it had Vista home (no downgrade rights) on, you felt it was terrible and brought a copy of XP would you be infringing rules by installing it?
    I was only passing by but am now very confused by this.
    Surely you own your pc and motherboard and you have just purchased a license to use windows XP? they've made more money and your happier

WIP: A+
  8. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

No, thats not what he means. If you hated Vista on the new machine, you would be well within your rights to buy a copy of XP, format the PC, and reinstall XP onto it.

Mike was saying that you dont actually own XP, or Vista. You own a license to use those products. By using them, you agree to abide by the rules set down in the license agreement (EULA). This agreement restricts you from doing certain things (like installing XP on 50 machines - or even 2 for that matter - unless you have purchased the correct version).

The physical hardware you own outright, and you can do whatever you want with it, but MS uses a different business model.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  9. Markyboyt

ok cool, thought it wouldnt make sense for them to be able to stop you doing that.
    So what would you have to be doing to fall foul of the downgrade rule? can you downgrade to xp without buying it?

10. Fergal1982

generally, no. There are certain licenses that MS allow you to downgrade to XP without buying it, but those are generally for businesses. Standard user licenses dont have those rights I believe.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  11. BosonMichael

...provided Microsoft's licensing allows you to do so. Downgrade rights are only available with some versions. I believe it's only allowable with Vista Business and Vista Ultimate.

Exactly right.

Not just Microsoft software... but just about any software. You know that EULA you blindly scroll past whenever you install an app or a game? Those include the licensing terms that state what you can and can't legally do with the software.

12. Fergal1982

Thats not what the poster is asking. Hes asking about buying a full product copy of XP, and installing that in place of Vista. Not taking advantage of the downgrade situation. At least, thats how I was reading it. In that case, the MS licensing is irrelevant, provided you own the XP license (and it would be a full product license, not an upgrade license).

I didnt think it was just a matter of the version of Vista you were running. I thought it was only applicable to those with certain licensing models (such as Volume Licensing). However This seems to indicate otherwise.

13. Fergal1982

duplicate post.

14. Fergal1982

ah. Apparently the downgrade only applies to the OEM versions of the following Vista installs:

• Vista Business
    • Vista Ultimate

15. Markyboyt

Yes according to the microsoft website it is just them versions.
    Sorry if i seem annoying with this, i just cant get my head round how then can stop you buying XP and installing it, i know they obviously state it in the EULA (which I obviously always read, either that or have never read :lol: ) but if ive brought a pre built pc with preloaded software, surely im still entitled to delete it if i want to. The licensing rule can only apply to my use of the software, if its not there then it cant lol.
    lucky for me i brought my computer before vista so im ok for now.

16. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

You're not understanding the point here. The point is that you cannot 'downgrade' to XP from just any old version of Vista - only some versions explicitly allow it. You can, however, PURCHASE a copy of XP from legitimate sources and run a fresh install on the hardware (which you DO own).

Mike was just making the point that NO Microsoft product allows you to 'own' the product - you just have a license to use it. That license may have terms which allow you to install a copy of XP from (ahem) 'somewhere' as a direct 'downgrade' from Vista without having to go out and buy a copy of XP specifically for that purpose.

My brain hurts now... I need a lie down.

Anyhoo, Freddie will be along shortly to laugh and make merry about Microsoft's licensing - and extol the virtues of Linux... :biggrin

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  17. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

I'll beat Freddy to the punch on this one.

You can always flush M$ and install Linux on your PC.....and you can install it on as many PC's as you want. :D

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  18. BosonMichael

Which, as Zeb clarified, he can do. I didn't think that was an issue, here. If you buy a full version of XP (NOT an upgrade version of XP)... it's only logical that you can install XP on whatever PC you've got, regardless of what OS is on that PC. I figured that was common sense. :D