Installing Windows XP with a SATA drive

Discussion in 'Software' started by Professor-Falken, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

I was installing Windows XP on a Compaq computer and received a message, that the computer could not find the drive, i checked the drive in Setup and it is an SATA drive. I heard that SATA drive need special drivers in order to install Windows XP. So could someone tell me how to setup windows on a SATA drive.

Professor Falken

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I found the info within 2 seconds. You can too! Just click here.

You don't need us to tell you the answer. I promise you, if you search for windows xp sata, there will be 11.8 million hits that you can use.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Professor Falken,

Does the Compaq computer have a floppy disk drive?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

This is getting ridiculous now.

For anyone who hasn't been around long enough to know, this poster is NOT on a wind-up - he is perfectly genuine.

What you are doing by bothering to answer his questions is doing his job for him. He works in a computer repair shop. Now I'm not too sure about the rest of you but, full of the christmas spirit as I am at this festive time, even I draw the line at doing someone else's work (that they are being paid for) for them - especially when the poster is not only A+ certified' but asking the most basic of questions that he could answer himself within 15 seconds of hitting google.

Its insane

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

And all this from someone that is supposedly A+ certified and should already know the answers to these questions.

Professor-Falken, do you actually fix your problems?

How about some feedback!!!

Are we the forum of choice to pester this month?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

One might almost suspect that he is just Mister Falken, and not a professor at all.

The internet has lied to us!

<edit> I had the answer within a few seconds of googling it too. Pretty easy question huh?

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013
  7. Daniel

Daniel Byte Poster

I'll give you a clue Falken.. :twisted:

F6

That is all.

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: None, but learning SEO/SEM
  8. Daniel

Daniel Byte Poster

LOL

Really?

EDIT: Sorry for double post.

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: None, but learning SEO/SEM
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You know folks, to avoid doing this fellow's job for him, and to at least try to encourage him to use Google as his first line of "tech support", you could just avoid responding to his threads. :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Eventually, google will be full of replies to these threads with answers to every IT issue known to man!

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  11. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Code:
    $>Select * from Members where Clue > 0 and Username = 'Professor-Falken';
    0 Rows Returned

$>Update Members Set Rights='READONLY' Where Username = 'Professor-Falken';
    1 Row Modified

Please mate, you are doing yourself zero favours, why dont you use your noggin, and the A+ certificate you worked so hard to achieve?

As I'm sure you can tell, members here are getting less and less impressed with your constant posting about basic issues that you should be able to resolve using the skills you learned in A+. More so because you dont even appear to have done any googling prior to posting.

Sure, we all need help, and sure, sometimes you just dont have the time to research yourself. But that should be a minority.

Do yourself a favour. If you want to be a valued member of this community? Stop posting basic questions without prior research. And at the very least respond to the people who are gracious enough to donate their time to hand-holding.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  12. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

50% of working in IT is knowing the answer, the other 50% is knowing how to find the answer....

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  13. BosonMichael

I'd be curious to see if we, as a group, could actually do that. A challenge, you might say.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  14. BosonMichael

I'd say it's closer to 10%/90%. Learning how to search Google is the single-most important skill a tech can have... with a solid, logical troubleshooting method running an extremely close second.

15. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Some feedback on the other 1000000000000000 threads you have started would be nice! :rolleyes:

Merry Xmas by the way! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  16. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

This is quite amusing.

When I first installed a SATA drive in my home system over three years ago I ran into the exact same problem. Couldn't get on the internet, so had to crack it on my own. It took me ten minutes!

And, no. I'm not going to give the answer. So there! :x

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  17. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, I was the same when I was installing a server which shipped with SATA instead of the usual SCSI drives.

Dont think I used Google either. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  18. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

When I built my new system everything was SATA, I don't think I did anything :blink it works anyway.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  19. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Beats me:rolleyes:

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  20. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Maybe because you're using SATA-2. I'm talking SATA-1. :)

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.