installing windows server 2003 on virtual PC 2007

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by caligali, Feb 29, 2008.

1. caligali

caligali New Member

hi guys,
    im trying to install windows server 2003 on virtual PC. I launch virtual pc, create a new virtual machine, then I go to settings and change the networking tab to Adapter 1: Shared Networkin (NAT), OK.
    I click on my new virtual machine and click start.
    I click CD > Use Physical Drive E:
    The console says: Client MAC addr: 00 03 FF BB F0 4C: 4B372BB-...
    DHCP.....
    it thinks for a little bit,
    then it says: no DHCP or proxyDHCP offers were received Reboot and select proper boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected boot device

Has anyone seen this before? I trying to mount the image from a .iso file, but same error. Thanks!

2. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF! :biggrin

If you're just trying to load the image from an iso then you need to have a virtual cd drive emulator. I use Virtual CDROM which i'm sure I got off the Microsoft site, but I can't find the link at the mo.

Anyway, install Virtual CDROM and mount the ISO image in to a chosen drive. Then start your Virtual machine and from the CD menu, choose the drive that you created in Virtual CDROM. You may need to restart the virtual machine now, but when it reboots it will read the ISO and should start loading up W2K3.

I would set the NIC to be local unless you want it to connect to your home LAN and the internet. If you do want the virtual machine to connect to the internet then select the name of your NIC from the list. Shared Networking makes the host o/s acts as a DHCP server (which you can't configure) to the virtual machines. Personally I don't use this setting. You can still get an IP from a LAN DHCP server using the hosts network adapter.

HTH

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

You don't need a virtual CDROM in order to do this as Virtual PC 2007 supports ISO images natively.

Once you tell the VM to capture the appropriate ISO image (which you then select using a normal browser window) you will also have to modify the boot order of the VM. It's DEL on VPC2007. Make sure you have the virtual machine window in focus, then hit del. Go into the BIOS and alter the boot order, and stick the CD first in the list. Save the changes, then it will boot from whichever ISO you selected originally.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

You can use a Virtual CD/DVD program like Daemon, however you don't have to as .iso support is built into VPC 2007.

When you start up you virtual machine click CD in the VPC menu, then click Capture ISO image.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Frank_Sposaro

Frank_Sposaro New Member

Hello. I am having problems getting a bootable ISO for Windows Server 2003. I downloaded "w2k3sp2_3959_usa_x86fre_spcd" from the MSDN site, but that is still not working. Can anyone send me, or refer me to where I can find another one?

Thanks,
    Frank.Sposaro

6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

There are 180 day trial copies available in the back of certain MS Press books if you wanted to use those.

Oh and a tip for you, unless you want reams of spam, I'd take your email address out of your signature. I know Gmail is great at anti-spam, but there is no point in checking how good it really is. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
  7. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

Just capture the iso or cd device and reboot (reset) vitrual pc. It reboots, then boots from cd.

WIP: LIFE
  8. Frank_Sposaro

Frank_Sposaro New Member

Thanks for all the tips. We didn't have a copy of the CD on hand so I wasn't able to create my own ISO. However, I found that we had a MSDN subscription and was able to get one from there.

9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

*cough* I refer the right honorable gentlemen to the answer I gave earlier in post 3. :)

Not that the OP actually seemed to read the answers or bother replying to say thanks, I don't know why we bother sometimes.

10. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

Long way for a short cut IMO

WIP: LIFE
  11. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Depending on configuration and what hardware is attached / configured they don't always boot straight from the captured ISO, hence me putting the bit about altering the boot sequence in the BIOS.

The last few I have setup have been using answer files from an attached USB floppy, and it will attempt to boot from that by default even if an ISO has been captured. Your method would work most of the time though. Doesn't matter now anyway, the dude asked the question and never came back. :)