Installing W2K server

Discussion in 'Software' started by SimonV, Nov 9, 2003.

1. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'm wanting to re-install W2K server on my main PC but cant remember if I need to back up the boot files ETC first.

I have 2 drives and 6 partitions:

Drive1
    C: windows 2000
    D: My Docs

Drive2
    E: Windows XP
    F: Windows 2000 server
    G: VMware
    H: Downloads & Ghost Images

Can I just go straight into the install or do I need to do anything first, I remember doing this one before and having some problems. :cry:

SimonV

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  2. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Quick shot in the dark - deff back up boot.ini on the C:, as that references all other installations across your other partitions

Why don't you try a Repair Installation on the existing Server install - is it actually broke, or do you just want a clean-up ?

Sorry, thats about as much thinking as I can manage on a Sunday :sleeping

Sure the troops will be along soon, Si :thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  3. SimonV
    Honorary Member

I want a clean install as the current config is the same as work so I can test things at home that I cant figure out when the phones always ringing or people in and out the comms room asking me things. I've ghosted it so I can use it if needed. I want to do it mainly for the Lab partners projects.

:D
    SimonV

4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

errrrm Not sure but I could be wrong but I don't think you can use a ghost image as a second Os as it should be an exact copy of the original ie same partitions and OS's. Could be wrong.

As for a clean install, as you have XP already on there, don't know if windows will like that. Normally it's oldest OS first and XP is deff older than XP.

Andrew

ps seen navaho yet??

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Hi Andrew, sorry to be a tad controversial, but I've always been a bit suspicious about the "Old before Newer OS" idea. If you look at Si's partitioning, he's got 2k on there before XP, which is before Server....

Mind you, if he didn't actually load them in the order of the partitioning, (C:, then E:, etc), then I'll be ordering a very large slice of Humble Pie from the CertForums restaurant :oops:

@Si - don't you DARE use this as an opportunity to score cheap points against me !!! :evil:

6. SimonV
    Honorary Member

I have done it before with an image Andrew, the only problems I've had is with the boot ini file not pointing to the correct partition but thats simple to correct.

@Jak, I think I did install them old to new but to tell you the truth I cant remember. Thats why I cant remember if I need to back up certain boot files but I can remember that once before I've done this and had problems with previously installed OS's not booting after an install.

Oh and as if I would use this as an opportunity to score cheap points against you.
    :tune

7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

I'm glad we're all equally vague on this issue - I don't feel as bad :)

My first point - I'm sure that whatever order OSs are loaded in, if probs occur, then it's a quick edit of boot.ini and you're away.

Secondly, I also recall from either the 210 or 215 Learnkey CBTs (aaah, God bless Aaron :cheers ) that , quote:

"When installing Windows 2000, the only time you would choose FAT32 as the File System would be if you were planning to dual-boot with Windows 98"

My reading of that statement was that it was a clean install of 2k, with an option for Win9x later. Not conclusive, I know, but thats how I understood it.

I will try and find out a definitive answer tonight, unless you Guys get in before me.

8. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Whenever I've heard that, I've never really thought about what order they meant, because the sources have never really mentioned it.

I agree with Jak though.I took it as though you could install a FAT OS later on or just after you've installed Win 2000.

9. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

When ever I have installed dual boot systems I have aways installed the older OS first.

I would stick with this rule as I have never had a problem from following it

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

"Oh, Waitress, I'll have the large portion of Humble Pie there, with some extra humiliation, if you will "

Here's what I found as the general consensus, after much a-Googling:

LINK

Still, that's what discussion is about, eh ? :thumbleft

EDIT: Also, as a result of this discussion, I've just learnt how to post a neat link, instead of an ungainly "http://blah-blah-blah" - I'm pleased :P

11. SimonV
    Honorary Member

I know its better to install the older OS first as something is done by a new OS that causes problems but I want to install 2Kserver and already have XP so I'm doing it the wrong way to what is recommended.

So what do I need to do to correct whatever goes wrong. The boot.ini is a must but is anything else needed. I'm gona do it tommorow so even if I dont find out the answer I'm gona have to figure it out somehow.

Thanks for the comment.
    SimonV

12. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Couldn't you install it as a VM machine :?:

13. SimonV
    Honorary Member

I could but wanted to do it the other way round. Have my work setup as a VM machine and Lab Partners as an standard intall. The Partners would be better as a standard as that way I get the better performance and have everything as in the real world.

Si :D

14. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Si, at face value, I really can't foresee a problem - lets think about it :

You boot to the 2kServer CD.
    Setup begins, loads all the usual, then gives you your installation options, right ?
    So you select a clean install (unlike my "Repair" suggestion above)
    Setup displays a list of existing partitions for you to choose from.
    Going by your original info, you already have a partition called Windows 2000 Server (or similar). So you choose that.
    At this point, I'm 99% confident (note the get-out clause) that Setup will give you an option to perform a clean install on that partition. When you then do the install, Setup is going to write the same partition info to boot.ini anyway, so you should be fine.

Damn, this has really set me thinking !!! I don't do thinking on a Sunday :x :x

15. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Great link, Gav. You might want to (if you haven't already) include it in the resource links for the MS cert page. It's a must. Also, for those who want to run a mixed Linux/MS system, the article is really helpful. Just remember, you'll be using lilo or grub as the bootloader instead of boot.ini.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  16. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

OK, will do Trip, thanks for that :)

17. SimonV
    Honorary Member

I'd sorta got the same picture as you on this one Gav, BUT what I thought was that some files on C: got overwritten by the older OS. But then again the OS on C: is W2K so will the server install not do anything.

Soon find out as I'm doing it tonight, I'll let you know.

18. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Good luck Si, keep us posted - just BACK UP boot.ini first :!:

19. SimonV
    Honorary Member

Well all done and I got the error that I was expecting, but I've sorted it out.

After the install when I tried to boot to XP I got an error message telling me that the file WINDOWS\SYSTEM\CONFIG\SYSTEM is either corrupt or missing please reboot from the cd rom and try using the repair mode...

I backed up the all the boot files from C: before installing 2KServer and replaced them in the following order and booted the PC after replacing each file:

boot.ini (did not fix error)
    NTDETECT (did not fix error)
    ntldr (fixed error)

Now I'm not sure if it was the ntldr file on its own or a combination of the files that cured the error but I didnt have to go throught the whole repair process to get XP working again and learnt something in the process so I'm happy. :D

Si

20. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Nice work, Si- I thinks it's helpful for everyone when we're doing a task like this, to sort of "do it live" on the Forum.
    :thumbleft 8)