Installations... selecting cables

Discussion in 'Networks' started by Arroryn, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I seem to remember from the deepest darkest days of my N+, that when you are doing a new cable installation and are running cables in walls, you are required to use plenum-grade cable.

Now, is this you are *required* to use plenum cable, and there's no way on God's green earth your installation is valid without one, or are you 'required' to use plenum grade cable, but no one's going to pay a smidge of notice if you don't.

I only ask as, well, I was wondering what the point of plenum-grade cable is.

Yeah, I know what it's for, but if you look at an installation as a whole, it strikes me as being a pointless expense. I was chatting with Martin (t'other half) on Saturday evening about cabling (ooooh the riveting conversations we have). It turns out that, on electrical installations, the only place he can recall the Wiring Regs require you to have 'smoke and fumes' cabling is on fully enclosed installations such as the Underground.

So, if you install plenum grade data cabling in a wall, but the electrical cabling in the building (which is far more likely to go up in smoke) is all standard noxious PVC... doesn't that make plenum cabling a pointless waste of cash?

Just something I was wondering about... no one has to reply or anything :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Arroryn - I'm studying for the N+ now and as I understand it, plenum grade cabling has to be used in areas where breathable air moves around - one of them is the gap between the ceiling tiles and the ceiling (the plenum area?). I think that using netwrok cabling in "riser" areas will probably also require plenum grade cable but I'm not 100% certain on that.

Whether or not u have to use plenum grade in a particular area will depend on the fire regulations in force (no idea what they are though).

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  3. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Plenum cable is better fire resistent than normal cable. It is used for spaces where it would be difficult to quickly remove and/or replace the cable.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  4. MacAllan

MacAllan Byte Poster

Plenum cable is used typically in the gap between the ceiling tiles and the ceiling as it does not give off toxic fumes in a fire, since the same plenum space also typically contains air ventilation passages that would otherwise pass the toxic gases elsewhere in the building. It is a legal requirement in offices in plenum spaces, not in wall cavities.

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP, Linux+
  5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Thanks MacAllan that clears it up nicely :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA