Install Shield

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mr.Cheeks, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Have any of you guys used InstallShield before? If you have, did you find it difficult when creating a installation file?

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I used to use it a lot a few years back.

I don't remember any problems with it as long as you were careful to follow the rules/docs.

The biggest problem, and this goes for other installers as well, is remembering all the dependancies for the package you are creating.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

so would i be able to create a file where it includes loads of other installation files and have them all install automatically just by running the installation file, that hopefully i will create? ...well that the reason i'm looking at it...

btw: i have not properly looked at the details on the site... Will do tonight...

Cheers...

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Yes - that is what it does.

The big problem is if you need to include files that might already be on the target machine. For example, under Windows, DLL files. You can cause chaos on the target if you don't check things like release dates very carefully.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Amen to that.

Some commercial organisations have fallen foul of this - I remember I once came across a massive problem with a product (which shall remain nameless) that installed MDAC and MSDE as part of the back-end technology.

Unfortunately, no-one had sanity checked the installer package prior to sending it out - end result was that the package ended up overwriting MDAC with an earlier version, rendering any other products that used it which may have already been on the system completely unusable. In my case, this incuded a front end application for a bespoke case management system - and led to me and another guy needing to rebuild about fifty workstations from scratch (NOT a fun task when you don't have an image server)

Proceed with caution!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em