Inlternet law

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by zxspectrum, Oct 24, 2006.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Right people , im in a bit of a rut here. I have got the internet legislation section in some course work, apart from looking into the RIPA act 2000 with a toothcomb, does anyone knowof a great site that i could use to help me with inter net legislation at all, when i see it ill know what to do etc

Thanks
    Eddie

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Would w3 help?

3. zxspectrum

Im not sure as im being picky on this to be honest. As legislation is a tricky area, as no one actaully owns the internet and therefore it is self governed etc <<< am i right in that ??

Ive been pointed to the echelon theory but im deciding against using 99.9% of that as its not legislation at all but a secret outfit, if im going to use legislation i need cast iron stuff and to use echelon would be wrong i think.

Any ideas

4. Mr.Cheeks

not sure what echelon is but with w3 they set standards for websites, like A, DOUBLE A and TRIPLE A... and of course other stuff aswell...

5. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

ZX, what exactly is the assignment? Or don't you know yet? Every country has their own laws on the content and use of the net, but of course those laws can only apply to users and sites based in that country.

EDIT: See here for info on Echelon.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

It depends on your definition of 'legislation'. My definition is of laws passed by governments. Such a definition would not include W3, or any other standards body, such as ISO or ETSI.

The internet as a whole is not 'governed' as such by anybody (much), but the companies and users that go to make it up *are* governed.

For example, in the UK if you attempt to download certain types of pictures you run the risk of being visited by the plod fairly quickly!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. Mr.Cheeks

Interesting point there Harry...

8. zxspectrum

Im with Harry on this, i honestly think legislation is something thats covered by UK law, i put this to my tutor but he was not giving me the answer but told me i have to make my mind up on this. Also last night i was thinking, say i was a hacker and i hacked someones computer in the US , would i be violating UK laws or would i be getting a call from the feds. The echelon thing wil make a brief appearance in my report, but im not wasting time on something that isnt actually written in law etc.

The actual assignment is as follows

Scenario: A national TV network is interested in running a story on the allegationa and controversies surrounding recent global developements in internet related survellance technologies. The possible news story would be entitled 'the internet and the loss of privacy' and would focus on, among other things, technical developments, LEGISLATION, and the resulting consequences for net users. Your group has been asked to research the story, and to present your story to a team of prducers and journalists. They would also like you t present your findings in a web site.

Now there are three people in my group, me being one of them and the other two topics are being covered by the other two.

As i say on many occassions any help/pointers would be grateful.

Eddie

9. G1BB0

G1BB0 Nibble Poster

the law applies to the country the offence was committed in.

edited as I re-read the question... look into the recent peadophile clamp downs via the web, monitoring sites, credit card payments, isp tracking, seizing of equipment and so on. Not the nicest subject but one that would probably yield the best results

WIP: N+ & CCNA
  10. zxspectrum

I will do that cheers Gibbo

11. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

This, i imagine would relate to how various legislation across the world is starting to appear requiring ISPs and web site operators to keep and hand over upon request logs, as well as other such goverment sanctioned surveilance, this would not include echelon really

check out new laws effecting web privacy, theres a ton of info out there as its a very high profile subject at the moment

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  12. zxspectrum

I know its a major thing but im sure i can only concentrate on UK law, as that is the legislation that if i broke it would get me into trouble. The rest would come under consequences etc

Are you with me ???

13. mrvolleyball

mrvolleyball Bit Poster