Information Technology MBA?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by fatp, Jun 29, 2008.

1. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

I have been doing a lot of research into certifications and 'level 6 (Masters's) ' qualifications and came a cross an MBA in I.T. I thought they were strictly for people in the business field but seems I was wrong there. The course integrates business components such as HR, Finance, Marketing with technical issues such as DBAtion and E-Commerce. Has any1 on the forum come across Masters degree's such as this one and how valuable are they for future or even current I.T managers?

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I've been looking at doing a post-grad qualification for a while now, as I want to move into upper IT management. Alot of these jobs list a Master's degree as desirable, however a small percentage actually list a Master's degree as essential.

To be honest, I do not think that is matters what type of Master's degree it is. It would be like saying what's better, a BSc or a BA? You will see alot of marketing regarding/pushing the MBA, however I believe that it's being pushed alot as it's a "new" type of post-grad degree (it's only been available in the UK since 1965, whereas the MSc/MA have been around forever - it seems).

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

Another issue is to think about is the problems with where the degree (Bachelor/Masters/DPfil/Phd etc) comes from as well as what the content is. A 1st BSc from a low-down-the-table is in no way comparable to a 3rd from a top 5 university - the content can be different, and from personal experience what I did in my first year at uni, some mates were only approaching it during their finals in the last!! But employers don't take these things into account, just what mark you ended up with at the end. And that works the same at all levels of higher education - its what you've gained (qualification wise) that is more of interest rather than how you achieved it.

If I was spending crazy money (ie, £1000s) again I would do a Masters or MBA that contained material that I was at least partially interested in - not only will it keep you wanting to learn it and therefore pass - but also it will mean more to you when you've finished it, for example, I've seen an MBA with a heavy leaning towards Project Management, it could be more use to someone who is in that line of work, rather than an MSc in Information Systems (probably the vaguest of courses doing in respect to content) or a straight run-of-the-mill MBA.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

FatP, forgive me if I'm wrong... but many of your posts seem to indicate that you're looking for a shortcut up the IT career ladder.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

these forums are for advice and to discuss topics in industry.

I am simply lookin at my short-term career and also the future, i.e. what certs / quals I can take later on in my life. Most people tend to have some form of career path laid out, it may or not happen but that what most folks do...

Not that I have to explain myself to you, of course...

Fatp :D

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Never said they weren't for advice, and I never said you had to explain yourself to me. Just noting a trend, mate, that's all. I only mention it because... there are no shortcuts.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hey mate,

While the MSc/MA/MBA will help you in your future career progression, I very much doubt they will assist you short-term (pre-management). Unless you get some sort of graduate trainee job after your Master's, I have seen a few people struggle to get their foot on the IT ladder, but that's not to say that it's like that for everyone.

Do what you're currently doing with you CPD (continuing professional development), eg your A+, network+, MCDST, etc and then move your way upwards (experience as well as certs/quals).

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security