Information Security Route?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by SkyHighDevon, Feb 16, 2015.

?

Which certs are most essential for the Information Security field?

Poll closed Mar 18, 2015.
  1. CEH

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. CISM

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. CISSP

100.0%
  4. Security +

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. GIAC

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SkyHighDevon

SkyHighDevon New Member

I'm looking to obtain my CEH, Sec +, CISM and CISSP certs. How essential is it really to learn Net + & CCNA if I want to go the Information Security route?

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

A better question to you would be what kind of experience do you currently have?

Not sure if you know but with some of those certifications you need to prove prior experience (CISSP) and as such if you don't actually have any will be impossible to by-pass.

What is it you currently do for work, what kind of IT Security experience do you have currently? What tools have you used?

You list a lot of certifications covering a wide variety of subjects as well.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

As above what is it you're wanting to do in InfoSec?

Sec+ is an entry level InfoSec cert, actually a decent general overview and introduction to things.
    CeH is an entry level more practical cert for 'ethical hacking'/pen testing.
    CISM and CISSP are more InfoSec management certs, not hands on stuff.

Personally the network certs on the whole aren't required, helps to have general networking knowledge but you don't need to know the commands of how to configure a Cisco router or switch ;)

Depends what you want to do though, if looking more pen testing then CeH, GIAC/SANS stuff is good with the ultimate aim to get up to the government level accreditations (if you're UK based that'd be a Check equivalent accreditation such as Tigerscheme or Crest).

CISSP (and CISM but not quite as much from what I've seen) rightly or wrongly is often used on applications for InfoSec roles even when it's not really relevant, but means it can be handy to have in some circumstances.