inexperienced and uneducated but willing!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by christiank, Mar 30, 2015.

1. christiank

christiank New Member

hello guys,
    i am a 22 year old, working in a crap job without any sort of qualifications or experience in the IT industry, but i am eager to get into it. the best way i can tell at the moment seems to be 1st line support? i was just wondering if anyone could possibly give me some guidance as to what my first move should be in preparing myself to work in IT. for example which qualifications or courses are worth taking on etc.

thank you in advance

christian

2. Coupe2T

Coupe2T Megabyte Poster

General consensus would be to start on A+ and Network+ using booms and/or Professor Messer website. Certainly a good starting point for all.

Depending on your level currently and any basic knowledge then there is no reason not to apply for some jobs now.

Depending what sort of 1st line help desk role it is, some will just want effectively customer service skills, As the rest of the basics of logging calls and resetting passwords and so on can easily be taught.

Good luck and hope it helps. :-)

Certifications: ECDL, Does that Count!?!
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Christian,

Why do you want to get in to IT? What is it you expect that IT can give you from a career perspective?

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. Dazzo

Dazzo Byte Poster

Welcome Christian.

The best way is to get into a help desk to get the experience. You can apply right now and if you are serious about the move you should already be applying.

You don't need a breadth of knowledge as it's generally accepted you start on help desks as more of a customer service role and build your way up and gain more responsibilities so to speak as you learn.

It doesn't have to be help desk also per se but look for roles like IT assistant etc. these generally require a bit more experience as you usually assist a manager (how i did it).

As far as certifications go, you want to keep it simple for now. A+ and the MTA from Microsoft are good options to look at or even office if you have some experience with it.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
    Certifications: A+, MOS: Master 2010, Network +
  5. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

dmarsh likes this.