Industry Magazines

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Phil, Dec 4, 2004.

1. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

I was thinking about how we all need to keep current with the ins and outs of the IT industry and the best way to do that. This lead me on to thinking about the free industry papers and magazines that appear at work on a weekly or monthly basis and wondered if you guys knew of any to add to the pile.

I currently get Computing, have just signed up for Enterprise Server Magazine and I have had Computer Weekly and ITWeek before.

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Currently get Computer Weekly and ITWeek.

Prefer ITWeek over Computer Weekly. Just seems to be a better read.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Yeah, sometimes the most entertaining thing in Computing is Dilbert :)

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  4. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Lest we not forget slashdot.org
    although not a print media, some of its posts cover a variety of interesting IT developments, including ones that may not have a sizable impact for years to come, but it is WELL worth paying attention to now anyway :)

Edit: oops forgot to list what ones i get
    I get, delivered to my home
    ITWeek
    Computer Weekly
    Packet
    Enterprise Server Magazine
    SQL Server Magazine

I like the server mags as they are geared toward specific products, most the industry news in ITWeek and CWeekly i likely read on slashdot or theregister a fair while ago :)

I also still get a few video game industry newspapers from my time in that arena

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I must admit that I don't regularly get an industry mag as a matter of course, but work seems to get a few subscriptions, so there's always something lying around - mostly web-design stuff tho (leaves me clueless).

I used to get the free and excellent ZDNetWeek freebie sent to me, but they have gone online only now, so thats now a site I use. Also, the BBC's Technology news section, plus my Sunday paper's business section.

To be honest, this place is my main source for day to day industry news - thanks to all who contribute :D

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I've created a monster. I get so many, that I hardly have time to read them all. A sampling is eWeek, Network World, InfoWorld, EE Times, Windows Server System Magazine, Packet, PC Magazine...the list seems endless...then there are the free e-mail newsletters. :blink :biggrin

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

i currently only get PCPRO. i tried some of the other common mags out there, but that was the most technical of them i found - most of the others are directed at home users and thats not what i wanted!

i cant really afford others at this time, but at some point i will most definately look into picking up some more subscriptions!

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

I currently receive Windows IT Pro and a German mag called C'T. Other than that it's mostly e-newsletters and websites like Certforums.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685