Increasing Performance

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fergal1982, Jan 25, 2006.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Ok. I have xp pro on a machine with a 32MB graphics card and 256MB RAM. Its got two hard drives, although im only really going to use the second for data storage (for now at least). Im trying to find ways to increase the performance of a game i have, for which my pc meets the minimum specs (just).

I've already increased the page file and relocated it onto the second drive, but i was wondering what else i could shift over in order to increase performance on the machine.

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

a better graphics card.
    and more ram.
    meeting the minimum requirements is not enough usually.
    i bought a 256mb graphics card two years ago, when they had just come out. makes games work like a charm. :p

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  3. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

unfortunately i cant afford it right now. so i need to increase performance without cost. it runs, just not perfectly

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Sounds like you're seeking the Holy Grail there, m8. Good luck all the same.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

RAM is the order of the day TBH. I also have come across some games that cause GPF when moving the Page file to different physical hard drives....

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Looks like you will have to throw some cash at your PC to play some of the latest games.

You could also try disabling AV etc before starting a game to free up some (not much I know) resources, also drop a screen res if you can. In most cases the minimum spec for a game means the game will run but nothing like what it should be.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

make sure no programs/processes are running in the background barring the neccessary ones, best thing would be to get a RAM booster which can free up as much as 200% of your RAM and hopefully this will help. but like the others unless u give your baby some serious pampering she'll slow down on you mate...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  8. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

200%? like it will give him 512? sweet! :rolleyes:

edit: ok i realized what you were saying...

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Click Start -> Run and type msconfig in the run box. When the System Configuration Utility dialog opens, click the Startup tab. There will be a list of items that load at startup. Untick the check boxes of those processes and services you don't want to start when the OS loads. You might have a lot more overhead than you think. This should free up some more RAM and make it available for gaming. Good luck.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

It's a good start by moving the pagefile to another physical disk Fergal. You might also want to consider creating another profile and disabling all unnecessary services and programs and then just using this one for gaming. Short of bumping up the RAM and graphics card you won't get too much more out of it.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685