incorrect cd rom

Discussion in 'A+' started by mick, Apr 7, 2008.

1. mick

mick Bit Poster

:unsure Hi all, I wonder if some1 can help me ? in fact i'm sure you can.

Today i got my copy of mike meyers comp tia A+ certification all in one exam guide (6th edition) and what a bloody big read this is going to be and i'm quite looking forward to the challenge i have set myself.

The problem being....... I'm not sure if the cd rom i got with it is the correct one. The book was obtained through amazon but was a used book (cheaper) but the disc has the words:

" COMPTIA TRANSCENDERS APPS + eBOOKS"

There is no mention on the disc of comptia A+ ect ect. I'm inclined to think that this is the wrong disc, and when i put it into my pc it doesnt seem to have the correct meterial on it. Can anybody clarify this for me and point me in the right direction as to where i could obtain a copy.
    Alternativly, does anyone have a copy they no longer need who would be willing to sell. First and formost, i need to know if the disc from this book has " COMPTIA TRANSCENDERS APPS + eBOOKS" writen on it. Being a complete novice in this subject i'm a bit lost, and more importantly, will the abcence of this cd rom have any implications on the passing of the A+ exams when i get to them.

Please help, i'm lost and need a bit of guidance...........................

Thanks, mick.

Certifications: none
    WIP: none as yet
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I'd say this is the wrong CD.

My copy of AIO 6th ed has a CD with "All in one" "CompTIA A+ Certification" "Exam Guide" printed clearly on it.

You are unlikely to find the CD on its own, so I would normally complain to Amazon and see what they can do to fix it.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. mick

mick Bit Poster

cheers harry, will not having it be a problem tho with regard to passing the exams in the future ?

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

IMHO that CD contains one of the closest imitations (while being legal) of the actual exams that I'm aware of. I found it invaluable to get the 'flavour' of the exam.

I'd shout at Amazon to get it! :biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. mick

mick Bit Poster

Great, I will do, I'll go and get on it now, cheers for the advise harry, you've been a great help, thanks.

mick.

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's definitely not the AIO Sixth Edition CD. Disks labelled like that are usually pirated compilations of e-books and software.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. mick

mick Bit Poster

thanks michael, and i must say the us army taught you alot about comouters didnt they, i can only wish at quals like that

8. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Mike works for Boson, writing test simulations, etc. I believe that most of those qualifications came AFTER his stint in t'army

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  9. mattgrey

mattgrey Nibble Poster

If you have bought the book, are you not now the license holder, in which case could someone not send you an image of the disk?

Certifications: none yet!
    WIP: A+
  10. BosonMichael

Actually, I was in Intelligence when I was in the Army, where I learned electronic warfare analysis, cryptography, and Mandarin Chinese. I learned computers on my own, starting at the ripe old age of 10 (I'm 38 now). :)

Some of my certifications are a necessary by-product of my current job. Although I used to be a senior network admin, I currently write certification practice exams (as Blue stated). :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  11. BosonMichael

Well, there are problems with that. Let's say I ask you for an image of your disk. How would you confirm that I actually own the book?

So let's say that you physically see the book in my possession. How would you confirm that I'm not borrowing it from a friend or a library? Or how would you confirm that I didn't give my CD to someone or sell it on eBay, and am trying to get another copy?

In short, there's no legal way that anyone except Microsoft Press can authorize the distribution of the CD found in the back of that MS Press book... and unfortunately, they're not likely to provide it. Best advice I can give is to hold on to your CDs when you buy a book like that.

12. mick

mick Bit Poster

OK all , thanks for all the great advice on this, i have actually been intouch with the person the book came from via amazon and he has apoligised for the book having the wrong cd rom in it and has sent me the correct original one which i should get either tomorrow or the next day.
    So without this site i would never have known and probably would have left it and not botherd persueing it, so i must say a big thank you to all who contributed and no doubt i will be on here again in the not to distant future asking questions about the A+ ect ect.

My warmest regards

Mick

13. BosonMichael

The best way you can say thanks is to continue to be a part of the CF community by actively posting. Please continue to hang out here! It's a great place. :)

14. Jagunco

Jagunco Bit Poster

ON a side note I use the trancender CD and I find it top noch. I got it through my Training Agency and then put it onto my 'puter and the exams are brilliant... would be better if I could ger over 60% lol.

Mike Myers CD is good also

Certifications: You're having a laugh
    WIP: CompTIA A+