in to deep or?

Discussion in 'Network+' started by chuxsta, Jul 29, 2007.

1. chuxsta

chuxsta New Member

hi all, glad i managed to stumble on this forums from a random search..
    have read a few threads in various forums and sub forums and looks like a friendly place,
    /emo mode off

right, i signed up for the compTIA network+ course today and got all my books for study in one hit..
    im half way through the first book and got up to the protocol section and starting to feel like some one has thrown me in to the middle of the ocean.

its via the home learning college that im doing this course.
    im not new to pcs by any means, have always had a computer since the days of the zx81s. but my entire knowledge, like most is from trial and error and self taught.
    i can build configure almost any machine set up basic networks but again this is done in via the trial and error method.
    should i be looking for external information to pair up with this course or will it all start to come together later on in the course.

i know i will have my own tutor to ask, but as i have only just started today i have not had a tutor assigned to me yet..

so thought i would find others that are on the same course and get some first hand non biased info...

thanks for your time..

2. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums.

First off don't worry too much right now about not understanding certain stuff in the N+ book. Its normal since it is the first time you are exposed to that kind of info. Once you start reading up more and more and actually practice with hands on you will begin to understand more and more.

I too when I start the N+ had a hard time understanding stuff. I remember it took me a few days to finally understand the OSI model. You have a tutor, books, plus this forum to help you with your studies.

Work hard and don't procrastinate and you will do just fine.

Good luck with the studies and if you need any help you know who to ask.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  3. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

chuxsta,

What are the titles and authors for your books?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  4. chuxsta

chuxsta New Member

@ Theprof - thanks for your supportive words, i will carry on and see how it pans out. i do a bit of net surfing when i get bombarded with stuff i have never heard of and they dont explain at all in the books.

@r.h.lee - they are by the home learning college the book titles are
    1 introduction
    2 tcp/ip fundamentals
    3 troubleshooting
    4 review.
    with around 16 tutor arranged assessments along the way.

5. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

Don't try to learn to much at any one go!

Take things in bit size pieces and things will seem easier as you go on.

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I know how you feel. Sometimes you read something a few times and it still doesn't click. You just have to keep at it and use other sources to understand the topic.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!