In need of some advice

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by AndyVee, Feb 3, 2010.

1. AndyVee

AndyVee Bit Poster

Hi everyone.

Had a good read of the forum and some fantastic advice on here.

Thought it best to spell out my own personal situation and see what you guys think would be best path.

I have obviously looked into the MCSE and after reading other posts appears that MCDST is the first path i should be taking??

Im 25 and last worked in IT when i was 18 for a small company doing general pc repairs/upgrades and builds. Adding users to networks and maintaining servers.

Since then not worked with any factors of IT and got stuck within customer service but now want to get a qualifation and get a good job but really dont know where is best to start so i can get a qualification that would get me a job to gain more experience to keep working up.

Advice would be greatly appreciated

Certifications: None
    WIP: CompTIA A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

A+,N+ and MCDST are your first certs then there a couple others you could do, only go onto the MCSA and MCSE when you have the appropriate experience.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep, GBL is right. The MCSE at this point in your career can actually make it MORE difficult to get back into the industry. Entry-level employers don't need an MCSE to do entry-level work, and employers who need server admins (whom the MCSE is designed for) typically won't hire certified people with no real-world experience administering servers.

Stick to the A+, Network+, and MCDST certifications for now. Build some experience, then start on higher-level certifications.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. AndyVee

AndyVee Bit Poster

hey guys

thanks for your replys. I think as you say ill start off small with the A+ and Network+ and work my way up to the MCDST.

From reading other threads im going to get the books needed etc and see how i get one from there :D no doubt will be a regular face on these forums for the for-seeable future.

Andy

Certifications: None
    WIP: CompTIA A+
  5. ITtech

ITtech Bit Poster

I personally would concentrate on learning the technolgoies you are interested in. If you want to learn to repair and build computers I would find a way to do that hands on (volunteer at a local computer shop, you tube videos, and forums like this etc) I would also spend time "researching" what type of technologies employers are seeking in your area.

Do your research on popular job sites. See what employers want in your area, what duties the job requires (entry level job you may be seeking) I would then spend time learning those technolgoies. The certification should not be the starting point for education it should be an ultimate goal.

You should look at what the employers want and spend more time learning those subjects. For example some entry level jobs may require you to be familiar with imaging systems (ghost, acronis, etc) but the A+ certification along with MCDST, and even MCSE will not discuss these applications. You could however search for these online and find many resources to help you become familiar with them.

I see students make the same mistake over and over. They seek certifications as a starting point for their entry into the IT field. It should be the other way around. You should learn the technolgoies that will qualify you for a job and then pass some certifications exams to better position you for a job.

Certifications: A+, Network+, CNA, MCSE, CCNA, MCT