Implementation of ITIL Service Management Training

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Arroryn, Jul 28, 2008.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Yes, yes, I know, the title of this thread alone may make some of you want to throw yourselves off cliffs like chronically depressed lemmings.

The ITIL Foundation certification seems to be something people are getting more and more (there are certainly a lot more announcements about passes on this as opposed to other Project Management type certs).

If I have it right (from my perusing of the subject matter) the ITIL is service management - ie - the service equivalent of 'process improvement'. And by process improvement, I mean your Charles Handy (whatever his name was) 5S processes, or the Six Sigma methodologies... at any rate, they are a written set of guidelines for IT service management.

What I want to ask is, has anyone, once getting this certification, actually implemented projects or procedures in line with their ITIL training? Or is it a lip-service cert people are getting because their blue-chip employers are bounding onto some kind of gung-ho service bandwagon?

I've experienced managers with service improvement written across their souls, and they are met with nothing but thinly veiled disgust. Whilst you can see a lot of things they are trying to do work, and would make the working environment a far better place, when set to actual practical use, the things you learn in service management courses seem to fall apart amidst the red tape and buerocracy of the day-to-day working environment.

Ironically, as I'm looking at doing the ITIL myself (as I'm a quasi self-hating sado masochistic customer service freak) I'd love to hear how people have experienced life after ITIL foundation - has it actually made a difference to the way you work? Also has anyone on here gone beyond Foundation yet, to the Intermediate Service level?

Also Ken (if you read this) how does ITIL compare to established methodologies such as Six Sigma?

Apologies to anyone who fell into comas in the process of reading this...

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

I'm doing the V3 Foundation just as an "extra" cert if you like but thought it would be useful.

Whilst job-hunting I have come across a lot of management positions where ITIL is being used and they require the Foudation as a minimum entry level qualification.

In a recent conversation with an agency I was advised that Ordinance Survey in Southampton have an "active" ITIL scenario and you would be expected to be knowledgeable enough to work within that framework.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Its a good cert to have as it seems to be a requirement for any future job these days, but it is an absolute nightmare as its so full of business speak its really hard to understand.

The only bit I use at the moment is change management, I still the that most of the cert is about common sense dressed up in a new way, still work sent me on the course and I got all the free tea and biscuits I could eat so i wont complain.

By the way my last job implimented ITIL standard but again that was pretty much change management only (although they did impliment it right down to when servers can be switched off or rebooted) and that was about 6000 users spread across the thams valley.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  4. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

We map to it at work. ITIL is going to be around for some time to come so, regardless of how I may have felt about it, I have to admit that I am beginning to see the benefits of working with it.

To be honest, I believe it is commonsense, but I believe that ITIL helps to drive out the processes and structures that need to be followed and implemented by all parties. This is especially useful where without it one part of a business would have been going left, and the other part turning right, if you know what I mean.

5. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

We use an ITIL support environment where I work. Its a logical way of doing things, especially in a big enterprise. Everyone gets sent on the foundation course at some point in their first year.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation