Image Programs

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mr.Cheeks, May 24, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Does anyone know of a program that can image a cd/dvd that runs direct (without the need of installing it)?...

2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

What is on the disc that you want to run?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Mr.Cheeks

I have not got a disc... i know you can just drag the files, but sometimes that does not work... basically i trying to find out a prog like alcohol without the need of installation, but my keywords are not good in google, cuz im finding it hard to explain it... :blink confused?

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Depending on what your mean exactly - I'd say that any CD copier will do this.

A CD that runs automaticaly is merely one with a few special files in the root directory. Or didn't you mean that?

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I think he means CD burning software that doesn't require an install. (IE runs live). If you build a Bart PE disc, you can run Deep Burner live from the CD which should do what ever you're after Cheek.

[EDIT] Bart PE here. It's basically a Windows live CD, very useful.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  6. Mr.Cheeks

Its not Bart im after; i'll have another go in explaining this...

im going to use Alcohol for an example.

i start the program and on the left it say image making wizard, i bung in my cd and create an image of it, it leaves me with 3 files on my hard drive, .mdf...

the "image making" utility, is what i am after, but with alcohol, i have to go through the installation procedure <- this installation procedure is something i do not want...

what i want is; a image making utility that does not require any installation, or at least without administrative rights required...

edit: a live image making software?

...cheers

7. Baba O'Riley

That is exactly what you can do with a Bart PE disc. You boot into your normal Windows installation, bung in the Bart PE disc and run Deep Burner from the CD.

8. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

winimage

9. Mr.Cheeks

sorry Baba - Harry has mentioned BartPE a few times, but i have never looked at the program properly, i got it, but have not looked at it yet - Sorry guys...

10. Baba O'Riley

So you should be, hang your head in shame! Seriously though, no apologies necessary at all.
    It's worth making a Bart PE disc while your Windows installation is working OK, because you never know when it won't be...

11. Mr.Cheeks