Image Ghosting...Hints/Tips etc?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Revolate, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Revolate

Revolate Nibble Poster

Decided to do alot of pratical in my last two weeks, is there any specific techniques or best methods for image ghosting (Symantec Ghost) that I should be aware of? :D

Hints/Tips appriciated.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, NVQ3, ADITP.
    WIP: Server+ and a nice break?
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

You dont say which version you are using, but would say it is the same as most applications in the way that using them is the best way of learning.
    Most of the symantec interfaces are pretty good imo.

Have fun!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Revolate

Revolate Nibble Poster

Ahh i'll give it ago. I know it's quite an old version, I got told there was a few problems doing NTFS, best to do FAT when it comes to imageing? Not to sure... so I thought i'd ask. :D

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I think there were issues with earlier versions of ghost with NTFS. I recall restoring some Toshiba laptops about 4-5 years ago whereby the restore would restore to FAT and then run a script to convert to NTFS.

If it's for training purposes, why not download the latest version?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Revolate

Revolate Nibble Poster

Yeah i'll give it a shot tomorrow as i've only had one go at it so far... doing a normal image with no TCP/IP then doing it across the network. :D

6. ITtech

ITtech Bit Poster

You did not mention which exam you are studying for... ?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2010
    Certifications: A+, Network+, CNA, MCSE, CCNA, MCT
  7. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

WDS is a good method (and free if you're on a windows 2003 network), I am looking into the Deployment workbench to see what that can do with reagards images when i get time!

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Which version are you using? You mention it's quite old so it might be worth getting the latest version. A lot of the older versions (also with Acronis True Image) don't support SATA drives so you might have trouble with them. I've used the latest versions of both of them and they are vastly improved over the older vesions (as you'd expect).

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. EZE Training Instr

EZE Training Instr Bit Poster

Nugget your right. Ghost is just a pain in the rear end now. Nothing SATA works unless you use a very old version of ghost (ironic I know). WDS is a good option. Drop me an email and I will send you the step by step document I prouced for the Server 2008 R2 course I wrote.

Carl Bunce
    Senior Course Instructor

Certifications: MCT, MCITP, MCTS, VCI, VCP, CCNA, CCNP
  10. Revolate

Revolate Nibble Poster

Ahh, I haven't done much with it lately, but i'm using the Symantec 8.2 version (Version 15 is out now). But i've just learnt the basics, now doing it through PXE and making a unique menu option and mapping it out from scratch so I can install a range of O/S's to any computer by pressing the awesome F12 key! :D which is quite tricky at first, i'm a noob though but i'm a noob that learns fast. :D
    As for the question on what exam i'm doing, i'm not, anyone can do exams these days imaging is highly valuble therefore learning something useful is better than passing an exam.

11. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

In that case don't play around with Ghost and the like, start playing around with WDS and MDT2010, it's far better to have some proper Enterprise Imaging experience than the likes of Ghost and Acronis, yes I know they are used in the Enterprise but in all honesty it's the use of MDT\WDS and SCCM that's more likely to get you hired than playing around with Ghost and Multicasting\PXE booting. Don't get me wrong, I have used Ghost since the Binary Research days rather than when Symantec bought them out but it's not really an Enterprise level solution.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  12. Revolate

Revolate Nibble Poster

Thanks, and i'll do all three if that is the case. :D