Im thinking of buying some equip from ebay for CCNA

Discussion in 'Routing & Switching' started by cert_seeker, Feb 27, 2010.

1. cert_seeker

cert_seeker New Member

rather than just using the router sims alone I would like to have some physical practice with a couple of cisco routers/switches and the IOS. I dont want to take CCNA and then go for a job having never seen or dealt with a physical router.

With so many models available its a bit daunting trying to figure out what would be best to buy for CCNA.

I originally read the 2600xm series routers would be ok but obviously...coming from a website this information could be dated or inaccurate for a 2010 exam.

If someone could help me with a couple of routers / switch model numbers that would best suit practice for the CCNA.

Thanks.

Certifications: MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: MCITP
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Keep in mind that a LOT of the gear sold on eBay is counterfeit... sometimes without the seller even knowing they're selling counterfeit gear. It might even work like geniune Cisco gear... most of the time, or until you use certain features. Suffice it to say that I've encountered plenty of it in the past, even on live - and malfunctioning - networks.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. brian4720

brian4720 New Member

Here is a link to a pretty detailed blog on setting up a CCNA home lab. It is a little dated, so his sample prices on what he was finding on Ebay should be lower now. (he has a 2950 switch at $200 and I believe I got one for $30).

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/24916

Cheers

Brian

4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

look for "irp70" on ebay a great seller all of his cisco kit is legit. :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009