Im starting to think IT support isnt for me...

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Juelz, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Hi guys after attending college I'm really starting to think IT support isn't for me.. I think it has alot to do with the teacher being rubbish in all honesty, she really doesn't explain things well atall and assumes we know what we are doing. But in all honesty I just rather get out now before progressing further and further to only find I made a mistake, and of-course wasted money and time. Kinda feel like I was fooling myself abit too, convincing myself this was definitely what I wanted to do when it was more of a backup plan rather than a first choice., I may aswell finish the course as I have paid for it.
    I think I'm going to move to web development it is what I would ideally like to have done BUT feared that I would never be able to develop a stable career out of it and be hustling for work my whole life. I would just like to ask you, whether web development jobs require degrees? I have googled and googled and there seems to be no clear cut answer (or any tbh) I think I would like to also get into app development to and have kinda already planned out my route of what college courses I need to do, just would like your opinion on the need of a degree part to get into this line of work.

Oje125 likes this.
  2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Not everyone NEEDs a degree, there is no one right answer to such questions, there are many good web developers both with and without degrees.

However you do not seem to be a self-starter, so you would probably benefit from a structured learning path and a degree is one way to achieve this.

I'd advise you go to sites like pluralsight, lynda, codeschool, udacity, coursera. Have a really good look at whats on offer for virtually no money.

http://www.pluralsight.com/training/Courses/TableOfContents/learning-programming-javascript
    https://www.udacity.com/course/cs101
    https://www.codeschool.com/courses/javascript-road-trip-part-1

Its very possible now to get a college level education without going to college.

Look around the web, look at all the resources on offer and then make a decision that suits you and your circumstances.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  3. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Thanks for the reply.. I think Im more of a college course kinda guy. I will use online resources of course but I love being in the classroom and following a structure. Also I like to get certificates at the end to prove what I have learnt. Anymore feedback from others would be great.

4. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Web design / development (they are different things) doesn't require a degree. There are very few degrees that will actually include web development to any certain extent.

What you need is a large and varied portfolio to make a career out of it, as people will more often than not look through your portfolio before selecting you to do a job.

The only way to really learn web development is practice.

5. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

How are web design and development different. i would of thought they went hand in hand??. As for your tutor being crap at explaining things Juelz, i can relate to that, and that winds me up. A lot of people do stick to the line of the degree wont get you a job etc, which is very true in my case, but you need to keep plugging away. One thing you need to do is get experience, ive noticed a lot more responses as i have been able to put down anything that i have done, even voluntary work.

The other bit is if its not what you want to do then you may be fooling yourself, you say it was a second choice, what was your first??

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  6. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

You can be a web designer without doing any 'real' development work. Web development gives you functionality, web design makes it look pretty.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  7. malayo

malayo Bit Poster

you can start doing web development right now and add that to your portfolio so once you're graduated, you'll have an advantage among other fresh grads

how? be socialize and start talking about you services to your friends and them excited with your services.

Certifications: LPIC-1, VCP4
  8. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Hi guys thanks for the feedback... I still dont know what I should do for the best.. thing is I feel like my teachers poor teaching has affected me alot.. I have learnt more from youtube than her and feel like I could have gotten the comptia cert myself instead of paying. . I guess I will atleast finish the course then decide later where to go.

9. malayo

malayo Bit Poster

that's the spirit!

but, please do not in any way embarass your teachers. They'll get you for that.

Certifications: LPIC-1, VCP4
    Oje125 likes this.
  10. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Thats why theres no easy answers, you can't just go to college, you need a good teacher, decent equipment etc.

Ultimately you have to take charge of your own education, thats why people here advocate self study, if you are smart and motivated it removes lot the variables.

Add to this the quality of CBT's and MOOC's now available and its almost as good as a quality college.

11. ad

ad Bit Poster

Agree with everyone advocating self study and using free online training resources. Design / Develop web sites in your spare time and see if you enjoy it. I echo the idea of creating a portfolio, when you have completed or have left your course and have gained skills in the web field, approach charities and social groups that want online exposure and web design/develop for them for no fee except a reference for prospective employers.

IMHO a degree in IT/Computing is totally useless unless you gain practical skills from it. Some jobs may want you to multitask i.e. design/develop websites and troubleshoot/support those websites/equipment hosting the sites/equipment the end user is using to access the site for example "Sir, the website isn't down, your network cable is in fact unplugged". Both your college course and web skills may come in handy in that scenario perhaps, but the more knowledgeable than me have given good advice already.