im sick of my job... looking for a change!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Deano, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Deano

Deano Bit Poster

Hey all,

Im stuck in a rut working in a call centre in North-East England at the moment and looking to develop a career in IT... My job pays well for what little i do, sales so i earnt just over 20k last tax year, but it doesnt excite me and i get no joy in the job.

Quite happy i stumbled across this website, while having a terrible day at work i was googleing how to get a job in IT and found the search results to be saturated with all different training companys, but i found this diamond in the rough :)

To give you a background, im your average geeky 23 year old, tech mad, enjoys comics and also bassist in a band (to even out the geek:cool ratio). Id like to have a job im proud of, where i look forward to going to work, i get different problems thrown at me, and my mind is mentally exercised. As it stands, most engaging things i do at work is talking to customers while playing sudoku...

I have always wanted to pursue a job in IT sector, but never really had the time until now. I have good knowledge of PCs/laptops/macs and dabbled a little with linux.

Looking at the options i think a good place to start is A+ & N+ to go towards MCDST, but where would that get me?

im not sure what to aim for long term, and how long (roughly) it would take to be qualified enough to be "employable".

Any suggestions on what resources to get, handy hints for industry "noobs" and where to start?

Cheers, and thanks for hearing me out :)

Certifications: None :(
    WIP: A+ then N+
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

Its a difficult timeto get into IT at the moment as loads of memebers on here will advise.

It may also not be everything you are looking for aswell to start of with but it is good you have a genuine interest in IT.

I also came from a call centre doing customer service work and thinkthat was a major benefit into getting into first line. all I can advise is maybe to start applying for first line job just now and maybe do the MCDST cert.

It looks like most jobs for 1st line are paying round the £8ph mark here in centre of Scotland, so I cant see your area being much different.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  4. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Hi, Welcome, am currently studying towards my A+ and trying to change my career path also. I would recommend starting with the A+ first then take it from there.

Good Luck:D

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :biggrin

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Call centre experience may help you in IT as it gives you an understanding of dealing with people. As for IT as pointed out it's not a good time to get IT jobs with no experience (it's not great with experience as well :() but it does depend on location and salary expectations on what the market is like in your area. Contracting might be a good idea but personally I would think about what you want to do in IT and plan your certs and knowledge around that. i.e. if you want to work on Microsoft software do MCDST, MCTS, MCSA/MCSE etc or networking then maybe Cisco CCNA. I would stick to your job and do IT study in your spare time and when the market picks up then look for jobs.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  7. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I'll agree with this.

But not with this, stop before you get as far as the MCSA or CCNA until you have the relevant experience! You can do your quest for an IT career more harm than good if you overcertify.

Oh and welcome!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  8. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Sorry did word that right I meant look at what direction you want to take your career in and structure your certs to that end but don't jump straight in with a MCSE etc.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  9. Deano

Deano Bit Poster

Cheers for the advice guys.

With the shift patern i work (3 days on work 3 days off) i have lots of spare time to study.

So plan is to get some entry level qualifications, and see if i can get a job, sticking with my current job until i find somewhere else.

Idealy id be looking for Middlesbrough/Darlington areas, but would be happy to comute to leeds/newcastle.

Cheers for the help guys, gonna give A+ a go :)

Certifications: None :(
    WIP: A+ then N+
  10. dezinerj

dezinerj New Member

you are right on this,
    even i wasted more than 3 years searching for the right company.
    Now i have finally found 1, but life isn't always easy isn't it, since i don't like the country.
    There's always something bothering in our life.
    Anyway, point is.. your balanced moment will come and i wish you Luck !!