I'm probably the last one on the bandwagon - free music

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Lev Arris, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Lev Arris

Lev Arris Byte Poster

Got me copy of computershopper this month and it included a free application called radiotracker.

It downloads tracks from loads of radio stations, is free and is completely legal in the UK (I assume its legal all over the world but thought I'd put in a disclaimer just in case :p). You are not allowed to share the tracks.

There is an annoying pop-up advising you to upgrade to a version where u pay when u open it, but other than that it really is bang on.

I've got a few 100 tracks already.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, MCSA (270,290,291)
    WIP: CCNA ..Global Domination
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you record a radio station on cassette tape, that may or may not be considered legal. Having a "company" record 128kbps tracks for you and send them to you is probably NOT legal... at least, not in the US. I don't pretend to know all the ins and outs of copyright law in the EU, but I would think that the Berne convention would apply. This really can't be considered "fair use"... it's simply another way you can collect music that you don't own the rights to.

Will anyone catch you doing it, or come after you with a lawsuit? Probably not... but it's not something I would risk.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Why would you want to record of British radio stations they are all shite, especially Radio 1.:twisted:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Lev Arris

Lev Arris Byte Poster

It records songs from radio stations around the world. It just records the songs not any of the talking or adverts.

As I say its been published in a British magazine as being legal www.computershopper.co.uk I assume that they have some form of legal backing behind them.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, MCSA (270,290,291)
    WIP: CCNA ..Global Domination
  5. greenbrucelee

yeah I doubt a well known mag is going to give away something that is illegal, although there may be something about how long you can keep a track for or something like that in the law.

6. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I remember Napster being given away on loads of magazines a few years ago...

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  7. greenbrucelee

i must have missed that :blink

8. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Around here there's (very high-level & preliminary) talk about adding $5 to Internet services (home broadband) and legalizing all file-sharing services. The money collected would go to the Canadian recording industry.

9. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

I know some Cdn artists who have yet to see a penny of all the money CIRA has been collecting "on their behalf". Repeated inquiries into the matter on their part have been met with silence.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs
  10. BosonMichael

Soooo... how does that help software and book publishers who get screwed by people who pirate their stuff using file-sharing services? :dry

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  11. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Of course, having the program is quite legal. Using it on the other hand is a grey area.

That said, I have a friend who does use it and he also purchased it because it's good.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  12. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Honestly, I expected nothing less. I was wondering how the money would be divided amongst the copyright artists, authors, etc… I guess not paying anyone is easy math. :dry

13. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I don’t know, it probably doesn’t! In a better world I’d say the money would have to be shared for all copyright protected material, but we’re far from a ‘perfect world’ so I just don’t know.

I do know that the ‘recording industry’ makes the most noise; and as the saying goes “…the greasy wheel gets the oil”. Not that book publishers and authors aren’t hurt, but I haven’t heard the noise. At least it’s not as loud as the music (and now movie) industries. :blink

14. BosonMichael

Would you like to hear it? I can give you my phone number... :)

15. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Although I appreciate the offer, I think I'll just take your word for it. Besides, you won't have time for me, you'll be busy fulfilling commitments with Female admirers thread :biggrin

16. BosonMichael

Nah, the college kids have it all under control. 8)

I can hook you up with a "Canadian" hottie named Lindsey... well, okay, it's really Will, an accounting major... but you'll never know the difference!