Im new

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Ryuodjin, Oct 19, 2009.

1. Ryuodjin

Ryuodjin New Member

Hi, im Will.
    Im looking for a way to do a course in CompTia or Networking either via online learning or apprenticeship. I was already working as Technical support and Desktop assembly for a small computer components and peripherals retail company. Ever since moving to GB im lost at what certificates and training I need in to get back into IT department. Im still in the loop for the new technology since ive been studying by myself but im still reluctant to try applying for a job. BTW im 21 now and have a family which prevents me from studying at colleges or uni. So if anyone knows of any good training and certificate providers please i need your feedback. Thanks.

2. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi Will.

If you've got a young family and you're young yourself, then I'd suggest you save your money, buy a couple of good books, maybe some practice questions (Boson, Transcender or similar) and self-study for the A+.

I doubt that it will take you that long, if you've already been working in tech support and desktop assembly.

The books we tend to suggest are the Mike Meyers All In One CompTIA A+ Certification Exam Guide and the PC Technician Street Smarts books.

The new All In One book I mentioned above isn't out until March next year for the new 701 and 702 exams .

You can find more out about the exam at the CompTIA site. CompTIA have just brought new exams out for the A+.

As regards applying for a job, again if you have the experience I would still apply. It can't do you any harm, and you can put in your CV or application that you are studying for your A+.

Forgot to add: You may still be able to go for the previous version of the A+ exams (601 and 602). If so, you'll need the previous version of the CompTIA All In One Exam Guide.

Best of luck.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  3. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Welcome!

4. Ryuodjin

Ryuodjin New Member

thanks for the warm welcome and the great advice and will follow it. thanks again and be hearing from you in the forums. cheers.