IM NEW PLS HELP

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by danny187, Sep 15, 2008.

1. danny187

danny187 New Member

Hi , i have just ordered the mcdst self study microsoft books on amazon, i have no commercial experience and i work in construction hire, my missus works on sql and i spoke to my mate who is certified in about 4 things and he think it is a good idea for me to learn these and eventually do the exams.

do you think im out of my depth, i know my round a pc and know certain things any advice or help would be nice.

Thanks

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

It’s a good cert to start with mate.

If you have any questions when you are studying just post them here. :thumbleft

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

Yes the MCDST is possible without experience but it may be beneficial to learn the A+ and N+ before (thats the usual way anyhow). compTIA A+ will teach you the basics of computing and technical support skills, the N+ is the basics of networking both of which will help when you get to the MCDST exams.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I agree with what GBL & Sparky already said :)

Welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

So far the info has been spot on! :)

Hello and welcome to the forums!

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  6. danny187

danny187 New Member

Thanks, i spent abot £50 on the two press books, and will just read through them, to be honest not really bothered howlong it takes, but does anyone have any ideas on how long i should study for and a realistic aim for the exams.

7. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

we don't know your depth of experience when it comes to using the actual operating system windows xp?

I've been using xp since day one,which was 7 years ago,but i'm sure i'll learn a lot about this operating system that i've never comes across before,as a single user i never have to bother about passwords or permissions,this stuff is covered in the mcdst,i'm looking forward to the challenge of mcdst.

I'll be sitting the exams around january,i've already done the A+ .

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  8. nic81

nic81 Bit Poster

Hey!

I have no IT experience, but good with the likes of computers....i doing MCDST.

So far so good! Not be long till i sit the first exam....scary!!!
    Some parts been tough but i've got there! Woohoo!

This site has been a great help! These ppl know their stuff!! :)

Nic :D

Certifications: None for IT, workng on it
    WIP: MCDST
  9. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Welcome to Cert Forums!

I wrote a Study Guide for the MCDST, located in the MCDST forum, hope that helps you a little.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5