I'm confused

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Riaz, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Riaz

Riaz Bit Poster

Hi Guys,
    As the title says, i'm confused :) The reason for my confusion is that I want to have a career in web development and i dont have much knowledge about the coding that goes into it. I do have a bachelors in IT but web development was never a part of it, I know how to code in C++ etc. But need to specifically learn web designing.

I was going for CIW Web Design certification and called up seeklearning to discuss it with them. They suggested I go for MCTS: .NET 2.0 web application certification since I already know the theory part of web development and am familiar with few programming languages (that dont actually relate to it though :blink). Now I am confused if i should go for MCTS or CIW. I graduated in 2006 and from there on have been working as tech support for a telecom company, but that hardly involves IT. More of landline phone support. I have lost touch with the usual C++, JAVA programming languages, still kind of know the basics of it though.

What do you guys suggest I do. I am already trying to learn HTML and XHTML. Since i consider myself a dummy to web design I have also got a book called HTML, XHTML, and CSS All-in-One Desk Reference For Dummies. Which seems to be quite good. Thats the link:
    http://www.amazon.com/HTML-XHTML-Reference-Dummies-Computer/dp/0470186275

I had thought I would self study give the CIW certification exams and make a portfolio but now after talking to seek learning it seems I am more confused and dont know what exactly to do. I need advise :D

Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCP (70-270)
    WIP: CIW Web Design
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

seek learning will say anything to get your cash, either trust someone who wants your money or trust the people on here who are giving you advice for free.

You don't need CIW to get into web design just a portfolio and some determination.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Why not look at some php and asp books and teach yourself, with your background it should be more than doable.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  4. Riaz

Riaz Bit Poster

greenbrucelee i would definitely self study and make a portfolio. i'm determined to do anything for a career in webdevelopment

kevicho, yeah i would be teaching myself php once i am comfortable with the front end coding. plus also ajax. so i'll learn server side coding as well once I become quite comfortable with XHTML, CSS and javascript :)

thanks for all yr advise :)

Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCP (70-270)
    WIP: CIW Web Design
  5. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Depending on the company its quite common to see roles broken down like this :-

Designer

Front End Web Developer

Back end Developer

Infrastructure / Support

Management

Its sounds like you already have a start on the back end stuff.

People did use to write websites in C++ using CGI.

Many popular websites are still built with Java and the servlet model.

Web designers need a portfolio, like all creative / design roles.

Its less common for developers to do this but it can still help, most just maintain a blog.

I made the switch from C++->Java->Websites, its not that big a deal, pick up some books and read em.

Basic HTML can be learnt in a week, proficiency obviously will take far longer. Its just a tag based language/file format. Learn Javascript and the DOM, its a generic datastructure that gets created from the HTML document. CSS is for skinning websites, its very necessary for front end people but prob less important than HTML and javascript when starting out.

The Web is based on a client server model, the protocol that supports this is HTTP, its a stateless request/response protocol. This can cause some issues.

AJAX is a lightweight RPC framework based on the browser and a couple of HTML tags, javascript, XML and JSON.

When it comes to the serverside there are many language options, PHP/.NET/Java/Ruby seem to be the current main contenders.