I'm back, and stuck :-(

Discussion in 'Network+' started by Dullage, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

Hi Everyone,

Been ages since I posted on here, got fed up of studying and then failed my N+ so took a break :(. Anyways I have my test re booked for next week and I'm cramming in all I can! Hello to any new people btw.

One thing I'm a bit stumped on (and I knew where to turn in this kinda crisis, CF :D):

I'm trying to get some definition on how to connect Mac Post and Pre OSX access shared resources on a Win 9x computer. As far as I can make out you something like MACLAN (That sits on the 9x machine) for Pre OSX and SAMBA (That sits on the Mac) for POST OSX.

Could anyone point out if I'm wrong?? Or if there's anything I've missed?

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network +
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Well - Samba is the standard method of getting Unix based machines to share with Windows. And OSX and up is Unix based.

Not being a Mac person I'm not so sure of Pre OSX.

However - my trusty Mike Meyers book mentions both MACLAN and DAVE for this.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

Thanks Harry, passed on Monday :D

4. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

You passed your N+? if so well done and congratulations!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  5. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Congrats on the pass! :D

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass:thumbleft

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Great! Isn't it a nice feeling when you pass!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  9. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Nice one. I am finding it really a struggle to actually study. Its such a low cert in theory and I just find it really boring! Having allready done a degree and other stuff, in theory it should be a doddle to know how to revise and learn...

Ah well

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  10. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

A software toolkit called DAVE by Thursby was very common software for connecting pre osx macs (eg os 8 and 9) to windows networks.

It still exists today for mac osx, it adds extra support and features that you don't get out of the box

Well done on the pass !!! :beers2

Andrew

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  11. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Same here ... If i let anything drag out i find it harder to complete

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  12. Dullage

Dullage Byte Poster

Thanks everyone.

Yeah passing was a great feeling, I was convinced at the end that I had failed, quickly clicked through the questionnaire at the end so I could see the 'Unfortunately, blah blah' but found a big 'CONGRATULATIONS' :D

I had most of the fundamentals sussed but I struggled on things like remembering all the Ethernet standards and interoperability, I made and printed quick reference cards on both and read them twice everyday, then towards the last week I'd try to retype all the information without looking at the cards.

MCSDT next :eek:

13. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

well done:)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?