I'm a moron and have failed the A+ multiple times

Discussion in 'A+' started by yogobro298, Oct 5, 2020.

1. yogobro298

yogobro298 New Member

please delete this

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
  2. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

Maybe do something else. I never did A+ but what I have seen of it seems to be devoted to memorising unimportant details of out of date tech. It's much easier sometimes to do something that's supposedly more difficult if that thing is actually interesting.

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013
  3. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

OK, so a Couple of points:
    1. You arent a Moron, you just havent studied enough,
    2. Are you using practice tests?
    3. How close to a passing score were you?
    4. What material are you using?
    Give us a bit more info, maybe we can help you get over the finish line!

4. yogobro298

yogobro298 New Member

I've studied for 6+ months 1. My score has fluctuated from 630-640 every time I take it

2. I get consistently 80-90 on the practice tests I take. (Udemy Jason Dion,Mike Myers,Ucertify,Pluralsight, Examcram, and various other sites)

I have to take it because it's in my degree curriculum. At this point though I'm going to take a break from taking it....

5. yogobro298

yogobro298 New Member

I might pursue another Cert(Sec,Net) But those are just as hard I hear? I can’t pass something basic like the A+ yet the questions weren’t clear on the test. Like my professor said there is a COmpTIA way to answering and thinking through the questions. This is just sad....

6. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

There's two basic types of cert in IT. One set is exemplified by the likes of A+ and a few Microsoft exams and their defining characteristic is bloated collections of unrelated nonsense. They are inherently harder than other material because none of what you learn in chapter 1 helps at all with chapter 2 and that just goes on all the way through their terrible curriculum.

Everything else covers more difficult material than those, but what you learn in the early stages builds your understanding of the later stages, which in turn reinforce your understanding of the earlier material. I think nominally much harder exams like CCNA are actually easier than things like A+ simply because they have the virtue of making sense and mostly contain useful information.

Don't allow A+ to get in your head and lay a big brown smelly egg there. It's just an example of a messy course that's made out of stuff you have to learn by rote instead of through practice.

Without spilling any info you aren't allowed to share, what sort of questions/topics do you have the most difficulty with?

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013
  7. yogobro298

yogobro298 New Member

I'm not really having any difficulty with anything. I do well on the practice tests 80-90.

Each time I took it my score needed 30-40 more points to pass the real test.

I’m not even sure what to do anymore. I’ve used lots of study material and resources. I rather not say what test it is because people are just going to say “that test is too easy and you’re not studying hard enough”. Also I did very well on the practice tests 80-90. But most of the practice tests aren’t an accurate depiction of the real test imo. I could possibly study for another certification exam but I hear those share the same difficulty.

8. Jaron78

So what part of the A+ is it you are struggling with? Is it still two exams?

9. yogobro298

yogobro298 New Member

I'm not struggling with any concepts. The only thing I would say I'm struggling with is answering the questions on the test the CompTIA way. Yes..it's still two exams as its always been.

10. Jaron78

So is it the first exam you are having problems with? Do you work in IT?

11. yogobro298

yogobro298 New Member

It’s the first Exam. No I don’t work in IT

Jaron78 likes this.
  12. Jaron78

Can I make a suggestion?
    Are you applying for IT Helpdesk roles? Maybe it would help if you got some hands on work?
    When I started I didnt have any IT qualifications, but I emphasised the point at the interview that I would get them if they gave me a chance.

13. yogobro298

yogobro298 New Member

I tried that it was a dead end. I can't avoid taking it either because it's in my degree plan. Thanks any ways.