If your company was willing to pay for training

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by mrvolleyball, Feb 8, 2006.

1. mrvolleyball

mrvolleyball Bit Poster

Hi

If the company you worked for was willing to pay for IT training, what would you go for, taking the following into consideration.

I'm looking to eventually get my MCSE ( or MCSA )
    I already have a good working knowledge of computer systems networks etc as I've working in the industry for 5 years so I'm not a newbie :D ( also I have a degree in Computer Science)

I'd rather not go on a week long course somewhere, cram everything into my brain, pass the exam and forget 50% of the stuff the next week.

There aren't any local colleges that offer relevant courses. So it'll probably have to be distance learning, or learning from videos e.g. CBT nuggets, learnkey.

Had thought about something like:
    CBT Nuggets Network Admin Essentials Combo Pack
    Hopefully my company budget would stretch that far.
    Or maybe:
    Nugget Streaming Subscription
    which is 1 year internet access to all CBT nugget courses ( and is cheaper although is only for 1 year )

Your thoughts / comments / alternatives are appreciated.

MrVolleyball

2. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Good to hear they will pay you for training:

1. Get them to send you on a Microsoft training course [MOC]...
    http://www.microsoft.com/learning/default.mspx

2. Setup a training lab of 2 or 3 PC's either at work or home....and practice ad nauseum

3. Use either Self Test Software or Transcenders for quality testing software - get work to pay for the software here also...
    http://www.selftestsoftware.com/default.aspx
    http://www.transcender.com/default.aspx

4. Look for additional resources at Microsoft such as the webcasts:
    http://www.microsoft.com/events/webcasts/ondemand.mspx

Remember to focus on one issue/exam at a time and good luck

supa

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  3. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

My work have bought the MCSE box set of MS press books with all CDs etc. They give us all 2 hours a week of company time to use for training and have set us objectives to pass 1 exam by the end of April. Some use that time some don't - I use that time and any quiet time I get as well.

I've been set 70-270 and am aiming to get that done hopefully next month and move onto the next one. We can use any old/spare machines for labs but it's up to us to be proactive about that.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

my company dont pay but i get some help from the ministry of employment as MCSE's are new here in cyprus.. if i were you go for ccna..

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

If your company are willing to pay for the training time, then I think that the best option would be for you to sak that they buy you the resources, and you will do the rest.

For instance if you go to your boss and say I'd like to do my MCP in X, could you fund the resources such as the books, a spare PC, etc, and pay for the exam, then it makes you look a lot better than if you say please pay for X course, it's gona cost X.

You are showing your company that you are dedicated, take the initative to self learn, and are less likely to take them for a ride by leaving for a better paid job straight after the course.

8)

6. mrvolleyball

mrvolleyball Bit Poster

thanks guys for the input / ideas.
    Much appreciated and gives me plenty to think about / look into.

If anyone else has any thoughts, please keep them coming.

7. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

If a company I worked for was willing to spring for some bootcamp I'd be asking them for the ability to build a test lab, books, and some time every week to use it.

I would benefit by actually getting hands-on experience in the lab with the technology. That will give me real world skills, not head knowledge.

The company would benefit because I would have real skills not head knowledge, and because instead of having me gone for a week or two creating a bigger load on the rest of the team I would still be available for work. Plus, once the lab exists everyone could use it. It would be a one time expenditure vs multiple large expenditures for each person in IT that wants training.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1