If you were getting

Discussion in 'Network+' started by morph, Jan 9, 2008.

1. morph

morph Byte Poster

say between 600-700 out of 900 on some practice exams - sort of knew where u were lacking (as in terms of the questions getting wrong) - and you were booked into the exam for Monday, so still a while to cram - would u go for it or move the exam date :D

Certifications: Network +, ITIL Foundation, CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: server/ccna security
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If the pass mark was 700 and I was getting 700 I would be tempted, but if the pass mark was say 750 then no I wouldn't take it. I would postpone.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I guess it depends on what practice exams you're using, and whether you've taken the practice exams once or multiple times.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Go for it, you still have a few days to study. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I agree with BM.

I have got mine next week, and I have only just taken the practice tests on the CDs that come with the Groth, Fast Pass and Passport books for the first time.

I have been getting between 84 and 92%, but the books are for 2005. The exam is now the 2007 one... :eek: so I am not sure whether the questions will differ greatly to what I was expecting.

BM has given a link in one of the other threads to new questions you can get if you already use the Meyers books, and I have emailed Meyers to get those questions. Once I get them, and test myself a bit further I will better know what my chances are of passing.

Just letting you know in case you want to consider that too...

Whatever you decide, best of luck... 8)

6. morph

morph Byte Poster

well i've been using ucertify (didnt realise they were not good - but had already paid), preplogic and the cd from the sybex book...part of me thinks i know where i've got to concentrate to iron a few issues out, but then i'm thinking have i got enough time, which is 3 whole days friday/saturday/sunday and thrusday night.
    I've only tried a majoirty of these tests once and on a few of them i've not read the question properly and realised when the answer came, i also dont feel i've been totally surprised - only a few times i've gone - holly **** - i dont know what that is at all.
    Think i might see how things r saturday night - can always reschedule - suppose i could just kepe putting it of etc and never end up doing it:blink

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

One thing to be aware of is that a practice exam cannot gauge your progress after you've already seen a question. Meaning, only an exam consisting of entirely brand-new questions can accurately gauge how you will do on the live exam (which also consists of questions you've never seen before). Seeing questions multiple times can help you to reinforce your knowledge... but don't rely on those 2nd/3rd/4th-time scores to be an indicator of whether you will pass or not.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. morph

morph Byte Poster

Well the situtaion i'm actually faceing is this:
    i got a junior Network support role a couple of months ago, the company i work for had some credit or vouchers not sure which with a particular vendor to take the CCNA - so they've booked me in for a 5 boot camp on March 11th. Basically, when i got the job and read about the CCNA, as well as the advice given on here, i took the thought - well i'll self study for the Network+ - as the Pre-Reading for the boot camp, was all covered by the Network + - and i also saw it as following a path if u like to get to the CCNA. Now i dont have to take the Network + - i am going to at some point and i've paid 192 quid for the privelage:eek:( i can reschedule for when ever), my company will pay me the exam fee back if i pass, but only if i pass. I've already told the company of course i'm going on the ccna - why wouldnt i - might as well give it ago as they've already paid for it, i'm just in two minds at the moment about possibly loseing 200 quid for the network+ which i dont have to do now - and thinking i've done the pre-reading for the CCNA why not delay the network + for a few weeks, and go for it when feeling uber confidant.
    i also see that people have done the CCNA and then the network + - which doesnt confuse me, but i suppose the reason for this is as the CCNA is all cisco gear and thats what alot of companies use, the network + then gives people a wider overall networking view?
    Ideally i wanted to pass the network + Monday and then move onto some intensive pre-reading for the CCNA, but then i also dont want Leeds to be in Division 1 - but we dont always get what we want:biggrin
    I'd also like to say at this point i'm not sure i totally agree with the boot camp idea as cramming in stuff in 5 days if your realtively new to it strikes me as sort of brain dumping, its fair enough if u know your stuff and its a sort of refresher course type thing ...anyway - anyone got any thoughts on what they'd do in my situation ? Oprah...or anyone else..advice please :D

9. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I think you have talked yourself into a plan... give yourself a few more weeks of study for the N+... try to get some extra exam questions as well as reading through the ones you have already done. If you read through them and read back through the relevant chapters of the book you are using, you will better understand why the correct answers are the right ones,and the incorrect ones are wrong.

You could still take the N+ before the CCNA... but don't put too much pressure on yourself. 8)

10. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

I spent a week before taking A+ to cram in as much as possible including practice papers & searching the internet.
    Their are many different resources out their to gain info from if you look hard enough.
    And it takes a lot to get all the info in & keep it in the grey matter.

Use forums like this for help, after all we have all been their, done it & got the tea-shirt!:D

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  11. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

One thing I would say is don't rush yourself. If you have the time then reschedule. You will learn more because you will study more. On the other hand if you are on a time limit of obtaining the certs then that's a different story.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA