If i have Microsoft certs and an AAT accountancy cert, what jobs could i go for?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by beaker, Jul 5, 2008.

1. beaker

beaker Bit Poster

I'm working in IT and in finance at the moment, both part time. My plan was to go down the IT route and get the Microsoft or Cisco certifications but i want at least another year's experience under my belt before then so I'm considering doing an accountancy course like AAT. Are there any jobs that i could combine the two?

Certifications: A+, N+, Linux+
    WIP: MCSA
  2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

There are quite a few degree courses now combining IT and a "business" element which may include some accounting. Similarly, there are a lot of general business degrees which will have an IT element.

I hear where you're coming from as IT is frequently placed under control of the Finance Director in many companies.

However, from your job point of view you will be best to concentrate on one or the other. The accountancy side of things will require some fairly intensive study (particularly at higher levels) and you'd probably find you couldn't easily combine this with the more involved technical aspects of IT training.

Time to make a choice perhaps ?

Good luck, whatever you decide :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

You could always consider going into IT support in the finance sector. For example Pegasus Software, where I use to live, would advertise for IT support professionals who had some accountancy knowledge in order to better support their customers. They are not the only ones.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Or if you became good at sage, pegusus or any of the other packages out there you could go solo,

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  5. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Actually, these guys are both correct. IRIS software near me (who produce the Exchequer software) have been advertising recently. Tough to cover both areas tho' methinks, especially if just starting out in both.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  6. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I think if you did do one of these then you would need to be more proficient in accounts, and have the following IT skills

1) Installation of software
    2) connecting said software to a database server (ie SQL)
    and at a push
    3) Install a server

Thats it

The accounts (software) side you will need to know such as ledgers, and then how to set up permissions for access to different areas, setting up VAT codes etc (im sure theres more, and all these are accounts side of things).

You wouldnt need to become the worlds greatest in IT as these companies would provide the training for installation, just you would need be able to do the above and thats really you will need to be focused on accounts

Alternatively you could go into partnership with a tech guy handling all the technical stuff while you build up your IT skill set.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  7. steve_f

steve_f Byte Poster

These guys make their own tax software, it's what my firm use. Maybe you could do software support (I needed help getting their software to work on our SQL server, and the support guys were very smart)

http://www.pkf.co.uk/

I thought an ATT could command £40k in London though, you could take a while to get there in IT support (3 or 4 years at least I'd say)

Programming and ATT would go very well together I'd say.

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA 2003+Messaging, MCITP:SA, MCSA 2008, ITIL v3 Foundation, Comptia Server+ 2009, CCA Xenapp 6.5, VCP5-DV
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA, CCSA
  8. richardw

richardw Nibble Poster

ATT is tax, AAT is accounting technician
    ATT can probably get more than an AAT qualified, though i never believe what the salary surveys say.

Im currently doing my AAT, & have done MS Office quals, up to MMI.
    Excel skills are expected in finance/accounting

Within IT in any major organisation, there will be some support of a finance system, & people need to understand the business case for certain things, like new reports etc
    & of course IT has a budget, whether they control it or finance do, its still got to be done.

Certifications: MOS (Master), MMI
    WIP: MCAS, AAT