If I get Comptia A+, MCSA do you think this would be enough?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Juelz, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

By enough I mean by atleast getting me an interview? because I'm debating on college courses.. one course I found that costs 1600 has a course outline off the following units:

Dimploma in Desktop Support
    This course is an introduction to the exciting world of IT support allowing you to achieve the industry standard A+ qualification alongside a PROMCOM Diploma, BTEC First Certificate and studying the CISCO ITE. The course is a mixture of practical and theory-based lessons with a big emphasis on giving you the skills needed to be successful in the IT support environment.

CISCO ITE
    Health and Safety in the IT industry
    CompTIA A+
    First Certificate in IT
    Hardware Troubleshooting
    Network Administration

I was thinking of doing this course as you get your A+ and a desktop cert but the price is menacing.. but then again it would cost me near enough the same to get my A+ and MCSA through college.. so I guess question is.. is MCSA worth more than this desktop support diploma... and is MCSA worth a great deal?

2. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Hi,

it's rude, I know, to answer a question with a question but, on this occasion, rather necessary...

Which 'desktop cert'? I don't see one listed...

Which MCSA are you referring to?

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
    Juelz likes this.
  3. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Sorry Im just not good at this cert business.. its the windows install and configure 2012 (70-410 & 70-412) and Microsoft Windows Server 2012 Administration 70-411. and the desktop course isnt a cert its a BTEC Diploma

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Just wondering... Have you thought about seeing if there is an Apprenticeship in IT in your area?

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

I wouldn't worry too much, it's confusing enough for those of us that think they understand it! :biggrin

Personally, I'd stick to A+ and N+ and, as for MS certs, at the most go for a Desktop Cert such as 70-680 when you are not in a situation to have much if any experience.

The MCSA, especially for Server tech., is really only of use if backed up by experience - at least 18 months to 2 years.

Remember, experience first, certs later. I personally wouldn't be spending thousands on certs, but for someone thinking of college, then a good grounding in all aspects (desktop, networking, server admin, etc...) is better than taking one aspect and studying it to it's greatest extent even before having real-world experience of the tech.

HTH

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  6. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

If I had no server experience I wouldn't touch the MCSA 2K12. I'm only finding it okay as I have a lot of experience with Server 2008. Anyone new to the technologies may find themselves in a wee bit of bother.

Richy has the better idea. MS Desktop certs will stand you in better stead. If you're going for entry level roles and have the MCSA on your CV already then it may also be possible you'll be overlooked. The cert is too high for that level, and they may think you'll either stay for 6 months and then run away as you'll have experience under your belt, or that you'll ask too much money for the role.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA