If i don't make the August 31 deadline for 701 and 702!

Discussion in 'A+' started by chrisbridges, May 28, 2013.

1. chrisbridges

chrisbridges New Member

Hi, I'm not confident I will be ready to sit the exams 701 and 702 by August 31, should I continue studying 701 and 702 and then source material for the new exams?

My course provider forwarded the enrolment key last week so I have only just started the studying, I only realised there was a deadline for this exam date when I started to make enquires on exam cost.

Many thanks Chris(stressed)Bridges :D

2. B33 ENN

B33 ENN Nibble Poster

If you really believe you cannot make it comfortably in the 3 months, then I'd suggest switching to the 801/802 syllabus right now. That way, any delay/retake won't require learning new material and undermine your confidence.

Certifications: ECDL, ECDL Expert | Cisco ITE | CompTIA Strata, A+ | Microsoft MTA Operating System, MTA Server Administration | CCNA Exploration
    WIP: CompTIA Network+ | Microsoft MCSA Windows 7, Server 2012 | Cisco CCENT, CCNA
  3. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

You should be able to comfortably make it within 3 months for the 220-701, however you may then struggle to make it for the 220-702, and just remember that even if you pass the 701, if you don't pass the 702 in time, you then have to start all over again on the 800 series.

My advice therefore is to ditch the 700 series exam requirements, and look at taking your focus on to the 800 series. Speak to your training provider about whether they can transfer you to the 800 as if they have only just provided the enrollment key now, then I would think they will transfer you... but speak to them to check.

Good luck

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  4. chrisbridges

chrisbridges New Member

I'm speaking to them today about changing to the 800 series, fingers crossed, thanks for the advise, i'll let you know how I get on.

Many thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the reply, I'll be speaking to my provider today, hopefully I can switch to the 800 series .

Many thanks

5. Chief

Chief Bit Poster

Switch to the new one for sure... but really, 3 months is very reachable. I knocked out A+ and Network+ in 2 months while working. I'm doing Security+ right now, and expect to finish that in maybe 2-3 weeks.

Certifications: MCSE (2003), MSTS Vista, S+, N+, A+, CCA (Metaframe), MCSE (NT4)
    WIP: MCSA (2008/2012), CCA (XenApp 6.5, XenServer 6), CCNA (Not sure, but probably +Security)
  6. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Even if you can't switch it's not a disaster. These exams tend to have the same core material, they just lose some legacy stuff and add in some new stuff. Most of the 700 series material will still be relevant for the 800 series.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  7. Angie2011

Angie2011 New Member

I think if you are unsure you can wait for the switch over to 801 and 802 and attain the cert !

8. VMEdu

VMEdu New Member

Hi Angie,

Adding more details to your post, CompTIA launched A+ 800 exam series which has been effective since Feb 2013. The 801 series exam questions are more performance based questions and with new topics added (mobile devices, visualization and troubleshooting). The 801 exam series is different from the 701 series that focused on troubleshooting, fixing and assembling computers which is still available until Aug 31, 2013.

CompTIA A+ 800 series exams still contain multiple choice questions and performance-based questions but these questions require exam candidates to perform a task or solve a problem within a simulated IT environment to demonstrate specific knowledge or skills. There are few sample questions of 801 & 802 series available on search engine and also on CompTIA official website. :)

9. Angie2011

Angie2011 New Member

Thanks for the additional info VMEdu :):D