IE& Refusing To Load Certain Sites

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by BobMac20, Jul 23, 2008.

1. BobMac20

BobMac20 New Member

I access some UK websites frequently every day. Last weekend IE7 started misbehaving, absolutely refusing to load 2 specific websites (Daily Mail and Daily Telegraph) - IE7 just hangs. All other sites work 100% OK. I have cleaned my Registry, deleted History and cookies, started IE7 without add-ons (it allowed me to access these 2 sites once, then not again). I did experience some unrelated problems with IE7 a few weeks ago and was informed by MS that these problems were caused by the version of Skype I was using, but have now uninstalled Skype.
    Any ideas what might be the problem? Other than refusing to access these sites, IE7 works OK.

2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

have you checked your privacy settings?
    tried FireFox to see if this problem is browser related?

3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Like he said! :p:biggrin

Also IE7 has a Phiishing Filter, it's display on the bottom of the screen next to the view size!

Maybe you should turn this off? Just to see if this make a difference?

Although I have just tried the Daily Mail website and can access it OK! :hhhmmm there's a story on there about Batman being arrested...oh that's odd when I click on the link it asks if I want to install a Hebrew language pack and a pop up to install active X. Then screen hangs!:blink

I expect that's probably the reason why you can't get on? Have you checked if you settings are blocking pop ups?:blink

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  4. BobMac20

BobMac20 New Member

I have Phishing checking turned off, and popups blocked. The extraordinary thing is that this only happens to these 2 sites, and not any other similar newspaper sites. I can access them via either PCs on my home network, just not on my main one. I am totally baffled!

5. Jimbooo

Jimbooo Nibble Poster

Try turning the privacy setting all the way down?

You can also consider uninstalling and reinstalling IE7.

OR, check for updates because some windows updates might be available?

Certifications: 4 A-Levels
    WIP: BSc (Hons) Computing
  6. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Well I can understand IE7 not wanting to access the Daily Mail site :D

I've been having similar problems. Sometimes, it just doesn't feel like accessing certain sites, I have to hit F5 a couple of times before it feels like going to them. For some reason, I also have trouble closing it down, it hangs for ages and I normally have to force-quit it. I'm hoping there's a patch available as it's bloody annoying.

I can't think of any rhyme or reason for it

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I have also noticed some sites behaving strangely and closing recently. App hang within event viewer.

You running SP3?

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. BobMac20

BobMac20 New Member

I'm not running SP3 but will try it - this problem occured same time as my AVG Pro was misbehaving (refusing to download updates) and it was a real effort to access the MS security pages - although this seems resolved now. I'm wondering whether the problem is virus related? It's interesting other people have the same problem - does anyone know whether I can download and use Firefox without afffecting IE7 - I dont want to uninstall and reinstall IE7 unless I have to as I would loose all my favourites.

9. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

download Firefox here

When installing Firefox, it will ask you whether you want to import your favourites from Internet Explorer. Select Yes. It will come under Bookmarks.

No - installing Firefox will not affect IE.

10. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

BobMac20,

Since you mention "Daily Mail" and "Daily Telegraph" that sounds like they're online newspapers. Industries like newspapers and magazines make money through advertising income. In print media, they print it in the media then you can just ignore that page then move on. However, electronically advertisements come to you through those annoying online ads. One source of such annoying online ads is from pagead2.googlesyndication.com. It is so annoying that my web browser would just hang like you've described. So I added pagead2.googlesyndication.com to my HOSTS file to resolve to 127.0.0.1 and voila, no more website hanging. Apparently, that also had the beneficial side effect of blocking ads from Google. So the conclusion I reached is that somehow some websites/pages are getting really aggressive about required online advertisement display that they will literally force your web browser and/or your computer to hang instead of displaying the rest of the material for that webpage that you're trying to reach because the website MUST display their ads because they MUST get income.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA