I'd appreciate some help - 2 revisions of CV which direction?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Boxrick, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Boxrick

Boxrick Bit Poster

I am currently looking for a job in the IT industry a little closer to where I live. I am happy to be only part time or begin at the bottom I simply wish to prove myself to an employer and of course gain that ever important experience!

I have been applying for some jobs using my nicer looking CV however after hearing some other thoughts and seeing so many different views I have come up with a second one. In this I have condensed everything right down but expanded on my jobs and showed more about my responsibilities and achievements.

Which of these 2 has the better "layout" or should I be aiming for a happy medium?
    Also any comments regarding the placement of information, any sort of feedback at all is *greatly* appreciated. I wish to nail this on the head and give myself the best possible chance for a job and show someone what a hard worker I am 8)

View attachment CV Condensed Share.doc
    View attachment CV Pretty Version Share.doc

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  2. Boxrick

Boxrick Bit Poster

Ashame no one wants to help out =(

3. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I think if you combine the best bits of both you will have a good starting point

CV 1 is way too condensed, remember employers will be printing these out if you get to an interview, if you are causing them extra work already it wont look good.
    Get rid of Self Improvement and about me, a CV should be something that lists your achievements and suitability for the role, opinion and about me's are just marketing, and they will judge your personality and how you will fit into their team at the interview.
    Ive not gone into the content, if you redo the layout ill be happy to look.

If you persist with CV 2 Id get rid of
    Nationality, Marital Status, Date of Birth, as employers are not allowed to ask these questions due to anti discrimination laws.
    The Interests and Achievements section

Change References section to "References available upon request"

I would try use the bullet points layout used in the first CV and redo the 2nd CV.

So really might as well neaten CV 1 up a bit.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  4. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

As for the font style I strongly recommend using Arial or Segoe UI as it must clear to read rather than the Times Roman Font style you are using on your CV's

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

TBH, I believe that this is partly due to (so far) joining the forums and most of your posts are in this thread, the other one is in the thread "Is the CCNA for me?". You've gotten a few answers both in this thread and the other one, but you haven't replied/thanked/or have not acknowledged people's assistance/answers.

Added to that, you haven't introduced yourself here in the intro section.

Just my two cents :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

ok, just my two cents...

1. Do not have a generic CV and cover letter - customise them both to fit the job.

For example, from an IT managers (that does interviews) point of view: Do I care that you can touch type 80wpm or that you know how to use Photoshop? What excellent skills with the Windows client OS?

2. Bullit points should be short, sweet and straight to the point; not sentences. You should list stuff that will grab the persons attention, eg you list that you have skills in Windows 95 to 7 (but no mention of servers and SAN's/centralised storage until further down).

3. This is a personal thought and others may be different. Words - "Expansive knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite", if you're going to list that, personally I would say Extensive, rather than Expansive.

The condensed version is too crammed - too much info in too little space.

The pretty version, I would re-arrange - experience above education, skills above experience. Get rid of the text boxes (not sure what they are are about). And again your bullit points are too long, sentences.

Look into what you've done and see if it falls into some sort of good practice methodologies (eg ITIL, FITS, MOF, etc); do you have servicedesk skills, patch management skills, security management skills, project management skills, etc, etc, etc...

Hope that this helps.

-Ken

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. Boxrick

Boxrick Bit Poster

That is very true, I have joined these forums and been reading a great deal of information and there has been a huge amount of things here which have really helped me! And yet to even say thanks... not a good start -_-.

I have since created a much nicer looking version of the condensed one, rearranged it and taken out pointless "generic" bits. I will now take your points on board and try to improve further :)

Cheers again for the help guys btw it is really appreciated! These forums are full of fantastic people.

8. Boxrick

Boxrick Bit Poster

Made some modifications, can the original files be removed? I cannot seem to edit them out =(

The CV is now the condensed version which has been "improved" but in a way allowing me to take out the unneeded information depending on the job I am applying for to bring it in at under 2 pages *just*.

Per job covering letter is a given, probably why I have a folder full of around 40 so far.... :eek:

Attached Files:

9. fliquid

fliquid Nibble Poster

A few months ago I attended a Learn Direct CV workshop type gig and the lady talking mentioned that most recruiters spend about 30 seconds or LESS reading a CV. If something grabs their attention within that 30 seconds, they keep reading.

I must admit I was a little overwhelmed when I opened your CV up (cvblanked.doc). TEXT and lots of it! No white space, 2 pages of almost solid text - this put me off reading it. (Although naturally I don't like reading, lol)

If you had a personal profile type section, I would've kept it - it gives them a quick idea of what you're about in a few lines.

Try setting a timer for about 30 seconds and see how far down your CV you can get. Does that ~30 seconds worth of content spur you on to keep reading?

I'm by no means an expert in recruitment or CV's, just my opinion =)

Certifications: MCDST, A+, N+, S+, ITIL v3F, 70-642
    WIP: CCENT
  10. Boxrick

Boxrick Bit Poster