ICND1 tomorrow

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by Coley, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Coley

Coley New Member

I sit the ICND1 exam tomorrow.. Does anybody have any last minute advice???

Certifications: BEng, A+, MCDST, MCSA 70-294
    WIP: CCNA * ITIL V3 * 70-648
  2. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Know your subnetting and remember that with Cisco exams you cannot go back and review your answers.

Lastly time is again you, so don't spend too long on anyone question.

Good luck!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  3. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Keep calm and carry on

As Craigie said, cisco love there subnetting questions, you should ideally be able to do these in your head, or be able to work it out on paper in less than a minute.
    You also need to be quick and accurate.

As with any exam id be familiar with the objectives and think that those are the topics that will likely be covered
    http://www.ciscosystems.com/web/learning/le3/current_exams/640-822.html

On the exam you will receive a combination of questions and similators, if you are strong on the command line, then great, might I suggest you should know how to diagnose basic switch and router issues, and be good on the show commands to find imformation, thats to say you were working in a role that this certification is aimed at (which I hope you are :) ).

Which study guide(s) have you used? I used the Cisco book which covered everything on the exam, I also used the Cisco command line manual which is handy occasionally although we use HP at work so the commands are similar but some are different.

CBT Nuggets are good also

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  4. Coley

Coley New Member

Thanks for your advice!

I have used the Cisco Wendell Odom book mostly. I have also used the CBT nuggets.

I'd say I'm comfortable with the subnetting part, and fairly confident with the configuration and troubleshooting aspects. it's more the theory part (all them tables! ha ha) that I'm concerned about.

My current role is System/Network Administrator so I do have a fair bit of contact with Cisco kit but it is something that I'm keen to develop further.

5. StoneTZ

StoneTZ Bit Poster

it's been a while but if you're still around how did the test go? Considering mine soon but worried I'm not ready.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Net+, CCNA
  6. Coley

Coley New Member

Yeah I passed it,
    I was definitely like you, thought I wasn't ready.

In the end I decided to just sit exam regardless as the worst that could happen was I lost £70 but learnt the exact format and environment for future exams. In the last couple of weeks I just browsed the internet looking for practice questions and using the CD in the Wendell Odom book.

I'd definitely say, as many people have already pointed out - there is a lot of pressure from the clock. Initially I thought I was flying through the questions then all of a sudden I hit a configure 3 routers type of question which just seemed to zap all the time away... I was surprised however in my particular case that there wasn't as much subnetting maths that I was hoping for and more theory based questions.

Give it a go though, you may be surprised. With my average score on the Wendell Odom CD practice exam, I was thinking I wouldn't pass but ended up with a score of 930

I have since started on ICND2 but it is on temporary hold due to a number of other projects I am working on

Good Luck!!

7. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

Like most people say know your subnets also its very important to know your show commands as most simulation questions want you to just pull information from the devices. Know your Cisco propriety stuff like cdp neighbour. You get example qustions before you start to show all styles of questions, it gives you quite a lot of time to go through them which is not part of the main exam. Use some of this time to dump out your binary table ip class ranges and any other information on your note paper. I always forget port numbers so i burn them into my head just before i go into the test centre then dump them onto my note paper before the exam.

good luck

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. StoneTZ

StoneTZ Bit Poster

Coley,

:DThanks for the encouragement and grats on your pass! Hopefully I'll be updating you on mine in 13 days. Well I mean I'm sure I'll be updating you but I mean with good news haha.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Net+, CCNA