ICND1 - > Cisco Press makes it look very easy

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by iRock, Feb 1, 2008.

1. iRock

iRock Nibble Poster

Hi everyone,

I'm currently work as a network administrator and I was purchasing some books on Amazon for my MCSE so I decided to throw in come CCNA books.

I bought the Official Exam Cerification Library (Cisco Press) for CCNA.
    I've had alot of spare time today and I have read through about 2/3 of the book and I have to say I am suprised at how easy it looks.

It all really seems to be common knowledge (from the point of view of someone with only a little experience - but alot of interest in IT).

Is the exam any harder than the stuff in the book? (I'm assuming its not).

Certifications: MCP (270,290), MCTS Vista
    WIP: 291,293,297
  2. phatboy

phatboy Nibble Poster

Well it is intended as the introductory exam for Cisco, to acredit people who have demonstrated the ability to configure basic functions of switches and routers, and subnet and know networking fundementals, and how protocols actually work

I am studying it and cant say its 'easy', as I had never touched a Cisco device before, and wasnt confident with subnetting at all

I also read the old course CCNA Intro book, and this is no easier than that....

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CCA 5.0, MCP 70-290 70-270 70-431
    WIP: CCNP R&S, CCNA Wireless
  3. iRock

iRock Nibble Poster

Thanks for the reply...

It is however a very interesting topic. I find it hard to put down the book!
    I got the CBT Nuggets also and I'm working my way through them.

I think the book is great though, very well explained and its good to learn things the RIGHT way rather than to pick up bad habits / misunderstand things.

I wish you the best in your studies ;)

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

iRock could you post the amazon link to the book(s)? I just got my ICND1 Self Study guide today i thought the same thing but then again i am 2nd year uni and MCSA... and the next Ryan Coates ;) hehe

Apparently the new CCNA is much much harder than the old CCNA. Ill create a new thread with what i know and about the books im using...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. iRock

iRock Nibble Poster

Hi Zimbo,

I don't have a link at the moment but its the "CCENT/CCNA ICND1 Official Certification Guide - Second Edition"
    It is in fact the most up to date version as I did alot of research before buying it.

I'll be MCSA soon too..... working with the stuff ages just haven't got a chance to do the exams.

:)

6. phatboy

phatboy Nibble Poster

Certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CCA 5.0, MCP 70-290 70-270 70-431
  7. iRock

iRock Nibble Poster

8. phatboy

phatboy Nibble Poster

im told it goes into more detail than is necessary, but it ensures a good understanding of the concepts that way, and isnt just to get you through the exam

9. iRock

iRock Nibble Poster

Thats a good thing that it goes more into detail than necessary... but if thats true then the exam must be very very easy.

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Underestimating an exam is a sure-fire way to fail it. Don't take it lightly. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!